XPEnology Community

The Super-Mega-Crazy-Out-Of-This-World Wayyy Overkill Xpenology build of doom (help please)

adam152

Okay, so I realize that this is going to be WAY OUT THERE for a Synology build. Our intent is to create an amazing Plex server (but also typical Synology and virtulization tasks) that can easily transcode and have a huge potential to be the fastest Xpenology out there. Our current rig is at about 100TB at the moment. I also want to say that I've searched EVERYWHERE to answer these questions, but I'm not sure and don't want to pull the trigger on buying all the hardware if we're doomed to fail from the start. Any experts out there that have similar builds, I would very much appreciate your input.

So here's the build:

• ASUS ProArt Z790-Creator WiFi 6E LGA 1700(Intel® 12th&13th Gen) ATX Content Creator Motherboard(PCIe 5.0,DDR5,2X Thunderbolt™ 4,10G&2.5G LAN,4xM.2/NVMe SSD,Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type-C) - Link  (Going for that 10gb NIC speed really, no other purpose for selection)

•  Intel Core i9-13900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores) 36M Cache, up to 5.8 GHz - Link  (Raptor Lake) (through research, the only thing I found was that we're working up to 10th Gen, found here. Anyone got anything higher working?)

• ASUS Phoenix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card (PCIe 3.0, 4GB GDDR6 Memory, HDMI 2.0b, DisplayPort 1.4a, DVI-D, Dual Ball Fan Bearings, Auto-Extreme) - Link (my understanding is that the base NVIDIA drivers will work)

Some of this may be a pipedream, who knows. If we're stuck at 10th Gen, I could deal with that because it's better than what's for sale from Synology. 

If I wanted to be brave, or financially contribute to the community and hire some help, anyone have any idea where we'd start to get driver support developed for this? 

Appreciate you all dreaming with me :)

12 часов назад, adam152 сказал:

Intel Core i9-13900K Desktop Processor 24 cores

see here.

1) you need Plex -> HW transcoding -> DS918+ or DS920+ only

-> Intel 9th gen (10th gen with patched i915.ko - maximum) with integrated GPU (no needs GeForce...)

-> Core i7-9700K (or Core i7-10700K with patch) - this is the maximum and sufficient CPU

2) 100Tb -> requires 6-8 SATA connectors on the m/b (or you can add an external SATA controller connected to PCIe)

Look for a motherboard with these limitations in mind.

(and what you have chosen is obviously redundant resources that will not be used in Xpenology)

Hi, you can observe my config an count it as a referrence. It is capable of everything you need. I tried the transcoding feature and it carried 9x4k simultaneous threads (network connection was the bottleneck in this scenario). Also, it runs a lot of virtualization tasks and docker containers.