XPEnology Community

ARC & ARPL DSM Failed Installs & Redpill error: "failed in waitforX"

Sc00bs

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to share my experience with my installation and the solution once I worked out what the problem was.

I have a Thecus N4810 that I previously had Xpenology installed on using Redpill.

It was booting of a USB stick and thought I would change to a different version that did not have the restrictions on the Surveillance Station software but ended up with space issues as it was a small USB stick. I decided to remove the USB stick and keep it as a backup and use a USB attached SSD drive for my installation for performance and space reasons.

Unfortunately my dog ate the USB stick so my fall back disappeared, I found small pieces of the chewed up stick on the floor so my fall back was destroyed!

I proceeded to try install Xpenology onto my USB attached SSD using TCRP and came up with an error when it was trying to boot RP. - error: "failed in waitforX"

So I tried using ARC and ARPL but consistently came up with the error "Failed to Install DSM" probably corrupt.

I tried numerous Synology build versions but it made no difference.

Roll forward 2 weeks of trying to get it to work and looking for a solution and finally switched the USB controller that I was using for my SSD drive to a different one. Everything works with no problems. It seems that there may be some issue with the USB controller I was using that was causing installation issues.