Any Opinion on DSM 7.1 and Ryzen 7 5700G

Joewydiart

Hi.

My build is as follows
Ryzen 7 5700G (Using integrated GPU)

ASRock B550M Steel Legend

32Gb DDR

3x 14TB HDD Seagate

I am currently using Truenas Scale with ZFS. In my opinion its a little bit complicated and I would like to use something a little bit more user friendly.

Synology's DSM is less intimidating than TruNAS in my opinion. If you are going to simply store files and stream media its a great platform. You can also do much more than that depending on your needs.

If you are definitely going to switch to DSM, you should read through these first:

And finally the Automated RedPill loader and Peter Suh's MSHELL, which takes the hard work out of building a loader.

I would suggest learning TCRP first, then move onto the others.

There is a lot of information here and the more you read and know, the better the building experience will be. Then you can enjoy your build.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rojoone2 said:

Synology's DSM is less intimidating than TruNAS in my opinion. If you are going to simply store files and stream media its a great platform. You can also do much more than that depending on your needs.

If you are definitely going to switch to DSM, you should read through these first:

And finally the Automated RedPill loader and Peter Suh's MSHELL, which takes the hard work out of building a loader.

I would suggest learning TCRP first, then move onto the others.

There is a lot of information here and the more you read and know, the better the building experience will be. Then you can enjoy your build.

Simply WOW!! Thanks for the ultra fast answer and help. As fas as I know Xpenology wont support integrated GPU like the one in the Ryzen 7 5700G, then that means no transcoding on EMBY or Plex, right?

Edited by Joewydiart

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I do not want to open multiple threats to ask question based on the same build. I would like to know what is the best alternative: Baremetal or VM like windows and run a virtualbox? The reason I am asking is that I am going to run EMBY media server and I do not like to transcode, but sometimes you cant avoid transcoding for whatever reason and then the internal GPU on the CPU becomes handy. It is my understanding that Xpenology do not support AMD integrated GPU due to Synology not supporting it. Is there any walkaround to this? Is the better option is to go with a Win PC running VM?

I am currently making a HUGE backup of all of my data, once i Finish y will delete Truenas Scale and try Xpenology. Any help with this questions will be deeply appreciated.

Edited by Joewydiart

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 5:26 AM, Joewydiart said:

Hey guys, I do not want to open multiple threats to ask question based on the same build. I would like to know what is the best alternative: Baremetal or VM like windows and run a virtualbox? The reason I am asking is that I am going to run EMBY media server and I do not like to transcode, but sometimes you cant avoid transcoding for whatever reason and then the internal GPU on the CPU becomes handy. It is my understanding that Xpenology do not support AMD integrated GPU due to Synology not supporting it. Is there any walkaround to this? Is the better option is to go with a Win PC running VM?

I am currently making a HUGE backup of all of my data, once i Finish y will delete Truenas Scale and try Xpenology. Any help with this questions will be deeply appreciated.

IMHO 

- Baremetal is simpler, straightforward and easier to troubleshoot. But frankly I never used DSM on a VM.

- DSM is running only on Intel. There's no workaround at the moment AFAIK.

- Depending on your experience you can try a Win PC running VM and see for yourself. Instalation of the DSM requires only 1 disc so grab one and play around...  :)

Good luck!

Edited by asaf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...