XPEnology Community

I am gearing up to build a 920+, nothing fancy, just a 12TB raid1.  My usage will be general file storage, Plex (hopefully w/HW transcoding) and a variety of Docker containers.  I might later experiment with some Surveillance Station, but don't see that becoming a huge component of this build.  Currently on my older DSM7 3615xs setup, I am running Ext4.  Can't say that I have had any detected issues, file corruption, bit rot, etc. etc.  I am not doing any encryption either, or have SHR enabled. Having said that, what's the general opinion here, on what people are using between the two, and why? 🤠

Thank You in Advance!

Edited by gericb

18 hours ago, gadreel said:

Hi, you have answered your own question :) . If you are not using any of those APPs that require Btrfs then there is no need for it if you are just storing data.

Well I didn't really state any APPs that "require" Btrfs.  The only APP I've seen to be recommend against Btrfs, is Surveillance Station. Of course Volume Encryption, is a Yes/No answer, does someone want or need it.  So just because I have not seemingly experienced any data/integrity loss, doesn't mean I should necessarily stick with EXT4.  Btrfs certainly has additional data integrity protections that EXT4 doesn't have, so could be very worthy.  Certainly DSM7 if I am not mistaken, would try to default you to Btrfs, so this is where my curiosity of usage preferences of people here.  I know most of the pros & cons of both, but I am still curious what people in general might be opting for, and additionally why...just going with the default, intentionally chose one over the other. 🤣

Edited by gericb

On 3/14/2023 at 1:10 AM, gericb said:

Well I didn't really state any APPs that "require" Btrfs.  The only APP I've seen to be recommend against Btrfs, is Surveillance Station. Of course Volume Encryption, is a Yes/No answer, does someone want or need it.  So just because I have not seemingly experienced any data/integrity loss, doesn't mean I should necessarily stick with EXT4.  Btrfs certainly has additional data integrity protections that EXT4 doesn't have, so could be very worthy.  Certainly DSM7 if I am not mistaken, would try to default you to Btrfs, so this is where my curiosity of usage preferences of people here.  I know most of the pros & cons of both, but I am still curious what people in general might be opting for, and additionally why...just going with the default, intentionally chose one over the other. 🤣

What I meant to say is that if you want to take Snapshots you will need Btrfs. If you do not need those you can stick with Ext4.

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2023 at 12:32 PM, Jseinfeld said:

BTRFS has data scrubbing & bitrot protection, even on RAID1

Right!  I am surprised there is not more feedback on user usage. To me clearly, BTRFS would be the winner, even sans Snapshots.  The very things you mentioned are mucho worthy and attractive features of a modern OS, totally lacking in EXT4.  I'm glad they didn't choose to go with ZFS, though BTRFS LT support seems to be a be muddled.