XPEnology Community

Best power saving Hardware in 2023?

silvermir

Question

Hello everyone! I am planning to build a new NAS and I'm looking for hardware recommendations. Energy efficiency is a top priority for me as I will only be using 2 hard drives (with option to update to 4 hdds). Can anyone share their experience and suggest the best options for a power-saving NAS setup? Thank you!"

3 answers to this question

I can suggest few options:

1. Buying an off-the-shelf NAS (secondhand is acceptable IMO). Off-the-shelf NAS uses low-energy boards for reasons. I'm using QNAP TS-469 Pro, and recorded about 45-55 W of normal usage.
  2. Buy Intel J series board. They use 10W TDP, have igp (for transcoding), affordable, and use less space (typically SFF). The most recent one is J6412, but J4125 is still pretty decent (and also native HW of DS918+). But you'll need a sata card because they typically have only 2 sata ports.
  3. 25W TDP is your next option if you don't want Intel J series.
Edited by kekesed97
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if you have seen Wolfgang's Channel on youtube, he has cool contents on building NAS but one of the videos was interesting and came handy on building SOHO NAS (at least for me). There is a German forum that the whole community is working and keeping tabs on their NAS consumption and keep posting their findings in an Excel sheet which shows the builds that are under 30W. Big shoutout to each and everyone of them if they ever see this comment. It's candyland there, you can even find builds that idle at 6 to 7w !!!

Here is that video, around 2:28 if u want to save time but i would suggest watching the whole video even though it's long

Here is the thread,

and here is the sheet

Edited by 7upTurbo