XPEnology Community

Got some noob questions about Proxmoxing

t33to

Please forgive me if this is obvious or covered in existing documentation somewhere.

I am struggling to understand how DSM makes it's way into a VM. I was expecting to be able to boot an ISO and install it like a normal OS in a VM. Clearly this doesn't seem to be the case.

1. Now I understand TinyCore and Redpill are things that are used somehow to bootstrap the system in some way? Would anyone mind explaining to me what TinyCore and Redpill do specifically in regards to the installation of DSM?

2. I have downloaded a few different DSM Proxmox backups from these forums and restored them into my local Proxmox system, but they seem to encounter some kind of issue on Booting the kernel at launch, the system just sits there saying it's loading the kernel and never completes, which further confuses me as to how this all works.

3. I also see various posts about adjusting serial numbers, and picking the right DSM/firmware/Synology-model and am further confused. I presume if you want to use 4 HDD's in your Xpenology system you need to pick a 4bay Synology model? Is that why this is important?

If possible I'd like to set this all myself so that I understand what's going on versus using someone elses Proxmox image. Any tips in the right direction or clarifications super duper greatly appreciated.

Cheers! And thank you to all who make this technology possible.

No, DSM is not that type of OS that you can install with an ISO. Installing the DSM on Baremetal or VM still you need to follow the same procedures to do.

Redpill is the loader is the code that makes all this magic work so that we can install DSM on a non-synology hardware.

TinyCore and ARPL to keep it simple they are software to make us (noob users) life easier without the need to understand how this magic works.

Write a few commands or press a few buttons and you are done...

I do non know if downloading the image of others will work. I suggest start reading the forum and you will find that it's easy.

The booting message that you see on your screen is totally normal that is what is supposed to say. In order to continue to see the log after the booting if you are on a VM you need a Serial Interface (again you need to read).

After seeing the "Booting" message you need to use Synology assistant. If everything works fine and your DSM picked up an IP you will see the DSM in the synology assistant and from there you can install the DSM (like a normal synology).

The whole thing about picking different models it depends on your needs and the hardware you have.

See the guide below.

Edited by gadreel
  • Like 1