XPEnology Community

Can anyone recommend a good used server to do a barematal install? (min specs/extra info in post)

denmalley

Question

Hey there,

I am currently running 4x 8TB in a Dell Poweredge T30, 16GB ecc ram, baremetal, DSM 6.2.1 , jun's loader, DS3617xs

Want to go to DSM 7.? (whatever is current) plus upgrade HDs. 

The western digital BF sales got me buying up enough drives to build a new 30TB SHR volume with 4 drives (2x14TB and 2x8TB) 

Originally I was just going to change up what was in the server now (the current 4 drives are in two raid1 pairs), but the server is getting up there in age so I thought I might just build everything anew - especially since I need to upgrade to version 7 anyway, just makes sense to build a new server and do a migration00000 once complete. 

I am not at all familiar with the world of servers, but I have seen some good deals on some hefty hardware on ebay.  Just looking for some advice on specs to choose, perhaps a model name recommendation?  I looked at the hardware FAQ and it looks pretty outdated, only mentioning what runs 6.x well.

Asks:

under $300 used

no OS needed 

at least 16GB ram

at least 4 bays (hot swappable is a bonus but not necessary)

SATA compatible

relatively quiet (it will be in a music studio so typical workstation fan noise is about the tolerable level)

Several (maybe 6+) usb ports to connect peripherals 

my main usage is as a plex server plus a radarr/sonarr/lidarr machine and general home NAS

I see a lot of ebay hits for the "real" poweredge servers like r710, 720 etc for pretty cheap.

Edited by denmalley

2 answers to this question

Hi have you tried fb market place just had a look at mine and the poweredge 720 range from 120 to 250 on ebay im seeing them for 350 not sure if that helps at all.

Or failing that i have built mine i7 with 24gb ddr4 and i found a cheap nas case with 8 bays on fb marketplace for £30 might be a option for you

Edited by gazzac72
added more info

Don't look at the R710, R720 or R730 servers for a music studio unless you have a closet to put them in.

Although the fans do quiet down after they boot, they can get noisy under stress.

I have a R620 beside my desk for testing and when turned on the noise is very noticable. My HP Z8 is quiet and not noticeable at all.

I would find a 9th gen Intel mobo/cpu combo and a case you can live with to build something custom and quiet.