XPEnology Community

BUILD and SUGGESTIONS needed

NotHere

Hello all.

I want to thank you in advance for the help. I found this project a while ago and have wanted to pass by and see if this will help me in my needs :).

Right now I have  NAS (PR4100 from WD) that I use for PLEX top my home (in network) and also for my mother and mother in law (out of network far Far FAR from my location lol). The PR4100 does its job, it loads all my videos for myself and transcodes all the video for the others streaming from their homes. The issue I have is that WD has horrible community and almost NO updates. They dont really care about their users of the NAS in my opinion and many others on their forums.

I was thinking that building my own NAS would be great but the only program I knew of was FreeNAS and I heard bad things about it so I never tried it. I would like to share my PARTS and see if anyone can give me some advice.

CASE: Something small, ill take recommendations if anyone has them :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor

MOBO: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM: Team Xtreem 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-2666 Memory

STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

- WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Drive

- WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Drive

POWER: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Now, I was reading that I might need some time of SATA controller for the hard drives and I believe that goes on the PCI Express slot on the MOBO. If I get that, then I can not get a GPU and I think a need a GPU to transcode video better. Am I wrong/correct?

Honestly any information would be great. Thanks again to all!

PS. Right now my NAS does PLEX, file backups, and TORRENT download/upload. I would need this to be able to at least do that same and be able to connect from the outside word like a CLOUD storage to access files on the fly.