XPEnology Community

help with powering down drives

gordies

power down does work, BUT there is a bucket load of things that wake the drives back up......

Not really worth it in my opinion.......as when you look at the logs.....the drives are constantly spinning up and down.....sometimes every half hour.....which can't be good for them.

Just leave them spin I say.......really what power are you going to save? vs the cost of new drives in a shorter period of time due to the constant power on / offs?

Not really worth it in my opinion.......as when you look at the logs.....the drives are constantly spinning up and down.....sometimes every half hour.....which can't be good for them.

Just leave them spin I say.......really what power are you going to save? vs the cost of new drives in a shorter period of time due to the constant power on / offs?

Well said - my disks never spin down. I don't get all the fuss about WOL and drive spindown/sleep.

I have several disks which have been spinning 24/7 for more than 4 years, both Seagate, Samsung, WD and Hitachi disks. Never had any problems.

And I want my NAS to respond immediately - I don't want to wait 20 sec or more to get access to it.

:smile:

We all have different needs. :smile:

My NAS also serves as WEB-server, Media-server, FTP-server, backup-server, so it is accessed regularly - also in the night. That was the hole point - rather have this running 24/7 than a more powered desktop PC.