I found this board because I was exploring if DSM could be ported to the Raspberry Pi. But this is way more interesting.
I have some noob-questions, and I suspect I know the answer to some, but just to be absolutely clear:
- I can install this on an N40L and this will act like a proper synology nas?
- What would happen in the future if the server dies? Can I pull out a drive, put it in a USB enclosure, and access my data?
- Can I just install any of the packages that Synology offers in their 'appstore'?
- Could transcoding video to tablets and phones work using things like Plex?
- How fast are filetransfers?
- How will updating to new versions of DSM work? Will it even be possible?
- If I put in two drives now, can I add a third later? What will that do?
- Is it recommended to modify the bios or not?
- Does the device go into standby or low-power when there is no activity?
- Is this legal? If not: will Synology be able to block access to their services?
- How does DSM react to things like the VGA out?
- How does it react to internal audio-out? Does that work?
- Does the built-in raid do anything? Or are Synology boxes normally software raid?
- Does USB support work properly, so I can hook up a USB audiocard or USB TV-Tuner?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!