XPEnology Community

Video Station

Schmill

Does the 'Video Station' package have any known performance issues?

If I run Video Station on the server, and then either;

a ) Access it via http://server-addr/video so that it plays the video in a webpage

or

b ) Use the DS Video Android application to play the video (whilst connected on the same LAN)

The video is jumpy and the sound is incredibly stuttery. If I browse to the file directly and 'open' it to play it the video plays fine without any issues.

I think it must be to do with Video Station, but I don't know how to determine what the issue is :sad:

The issue is most probably your hardware. See, Video Station transcodes the video into a supported format, in case of the web player it means MP4, and in case of the desktop app, well, I'm not sure, but that's quite limited too.

For this exact reason I do not use Video Station, but installed Plex Media Server, and it works perfectly. My hardware is an HP N54L, standard build apart from storage.

Hmm, ok thanks, I'll take a look at the Plex Media Server then. I must admit I am quite confused as whilst the video is skipping and jumping unwatchably, looking at the resource monitor on the server shows that almost everything is idle (processor shows 0 - 1% use, memory is 6%, network and disk have very occasional spikes of activity, but other than that it appears to be almost entirely at rest...)

Ok, so now I can use Plex to stream via DNLA to my TV, but how do I play those same titles on my android devices and Win PC's ?

EDIT I was hoping to be able to just 'stream' to my Android devices, but it seems that you need to use a paid for app? Also there doesn't seem to be anyway to test it first :sad:

The issue is most probably your hardware. See, Video Station transcodes the video into a supported format, in case of the web player it means MP4, and in case of the desktop app, well, I'm not sure, but that's quite limited too.

For this exact reason I do not use Video Station, but installed Plex Media Server, and it works perfectly. My hardware is an HP N54L, standard build apart from storage.

When you say "your hardware", do you mean the N54L itself, or something else?

• 5 months later...