XPEnology Community

DSM 7 on T-NAS F5-221

Nikko485

Hello everyone !

I have a NAS DS215J which is showing signs of weakness (it has had a few years of good and loyal service).

I purchased a second hand Terra Master brand Nas: the F5-221. A 5 bay with good spec for my tasks (Torrent, storage and iTunes server)

I tested the TM system, but it's just not possible because it's so complicated and quite unstable (in my opinion, I'm not criticizing overall)

Card spec: Celeron J3355@2Ghz x64, 6GB ram (2+4) and an Intel® HD Graphics 500 in CG. 5x4TB IronWolf CMR (5x160GB in RAID6 for testing)

I followed a tutorial from here to install DSM (with TCRP and a build for a DS1019+, almost the same processor -J3355 VS J3455- and the right number of SATA bays) on this machine.

It works very well, but:

- No video return via the HDMI port after kernel loaded > problematic for diagnosis, see next point...

- It takes a while to boot maybe 10 minutes or so (I managed to get the BIOS to boot on USB by default) > not a big deal.

- It does not turn off/reboot without having to force it manually (a bit like on Hackintosh with OpenHaltRestart).

I've some knowledge in computers, but very few when it comes to bash commands (I can just decrypt and adapt certain parameters to my case but that's it...).

Do you have any advice/ideas to give me to correct at least the last 2 concerns?

Thank you for everything and in advance.
Jonathan (Aka Nikko485)