XPEnology Community

Fully functional hardware build for DS918+ with latest DSM 7 (need advice)

borlcand

Hi everyone!

I've been reading the forum for a while and decided that I need to get another unit to help my original DS213j cover my needs.

I'm looking to build a DS918+ unit on top of Intel processor with compatible iGPU.

I need a working solution with Synology Photos Face Recognition (powered by GPU, not CPU) and Hardware Acceleration for Video Transcoding.

Right now I'm looking at i3-10105 (refreshed i3-10100) or i3-9100.

The i3-10105 seems more

• reasonable (newer platform, possible upgrade to 11th gen)
  • costs less than 9th gen (don't know why)
  • has 4 cores and 8 threads (i3-9xxx has only 4 cores and 4 threads)

While the i3-9100 has no need to install any patch or so to get iGPU working.

What is the current status for the features I mentioned above for i3-10105 processor, and what are the requirements to make it work for each?

(requirement is the latest or at least not very old version of DSM 7)

• Synology Photos Face Recognition (powered by GPU, not CPU)
    • ? (Haven't found any thread for 10th gen) Or is it just working after fixing the iGPU below?
  • Hardware Acceleration for Video Transcoding
    • As I understand, the patch from this thread is required for the iGPU device ID 
Edited by borlcand

• borlcand changed the title to Fully functional hardware build for DS918+ with latest DSM 7 (need advice)

Hello,

I would recommend you to use my build config or same gen hardware. I use intel i5 8600k with the gigabyte c246n-wu2 motherboard and 32 gb of ram (you can use less if needed). I use the latest 7.1.1 build of ds920+ and the arpl loader. The nvme cache works out of the box on this config. Everything works on this config, I do not have a function that does not work. So, you can use my config as a referrence.

P.s. video acceleration works out of the box and does not need any activation or driver installation, the same is for face recognition. This is actual for 8 and 9 gen intel cpus with hd630 videocore.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. 

For some reason 8th and 9th gen in retail and on second hand market costs more than 10th gen. (Poland)

Thats why it seems great to build a unit on a newer generation with less cost.