XPEnology Community

Clean S.M.A.R.T test history for HDD (DSM 6.2.3)

Aligatorru

Question

Hi there!

I have a question regarding resetting the S.M.A.R.T test history on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3.

I have disk #3 which has some kind of failure, it says that I have a seak_error_rate error, but the S.M.A.R.T. it doesn't confirm. I have another xpenology that does NOT see errors on this drive, so I still think it's a software glitch.

I wanted to completely clear all information about my disks, but did not find where it could be located. I cleared the /var/log/ folder. First, I deleted smart_quick_log, smart_extend_log, disk_overview.xml, rm disk_log.xml files. Then I deleted the entire log folder. But the problem remained. Synology somehow knows that an error was found on this disk and does not want to work with it. What other files would you advise me to delete? 

photo_2022-08-05_21-32-53.jpg

photo_2022-08-05_21-32-46.jpg

1 answer to this question

As far as I know, this kind of information is saved on the DRIVE not in DSM. There are some reports of clearing smart data on certain drive manufactures (google it) but this WILL NOT cure any potential problems you have/had with your drives. If smart is reporting it, its probably accurate. Tampering with the smart data could potentially damage your drives, so I would not suggest it.