XPEnology Community

Volume Crashed Repeatedly

Octavean

I setup my XPEnology NAS as a test initially so I only used it to replicated data from my Server. Therefore nothing was lost. Lets get into the details a bit though:

Hardware configuration is as follows:

Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell

Asus Z97-E (6 SATA Ports)

8GB DDR3

2x SI-PEX40064 4 port SATA cards

3x Rosewill RSV-SATA-Cage-34 Hot-Swap HDD Backplane (12 bays)

Antec 900 Case

8x WD Red 4TB HDDs

Corsair 750W PSU

What was happening was that HDD's would occasionally show some I/O errors when adding a disc or doing some data scrubbing. A HDD might also crash. So in such a case I might remove the HDD and test it with WD Tools as a verification of what was reported by the DiskStation. If it was verified I would RMA the HDD provided it was in warranty. Either way the HDD would be replaced. After a while I started to notice that only HDD's in bays 1, 2, 3 or 4 would ever develop issues. Bays 1 through 4 are connected to the motherboard SATA ports of the same corresponding number. Bays 5 and 6 also come from the motherboard but are connected to the motherboard's SATA Express port. The rest of the bays are connected to the SI-PEX40064 4 port SATA cards.

So after the last Volume crash caused by HDD crashes (using SHR-2) I eventually got a little feed up and bought a Synology DS1815. I loaded it up with same 8x WD Red 4TB HDD and everything has been working fine. The HDD were all checked when building a new Volume with SHR-2 and they all checked out fine. I'm in the process of loading up all the data I want to duplicate on the DS1815+ and am about halfway done sending it over the network.

I have a few spare WD Red 3TB HDDs and some spare WD Green 3TB HDD so I have loaded them up in the XPEnology NAS. I'm in the process of extended SMART testing the last few HDDs in it before I build the second larger volume in it. It seems to be fine as long as I avoid ports 1 through 4 so far. I'll use this as a backup target for the DS1815+ which in itself is a backup.