XPEnology Community

Copying files from External USB drive

Schmill

Ok - I apologies if this is a stupid question, and I can't believe I don't already know this, but....

I have connected an external USB drive to my N54L, which then shows up as a share folder "usbshare1" when I navigate the N54L from my Windows laptop across the network.

If I use my Windows laptop to COPY files from the external USB drive (connected to the N54L) TO another shared folder (on the N54L) how is the data actually transferred?

Is the process intelligent enough to realise that the data is already on the correct machine, or will it route Off the external drive (connected to the N54L), onto the network connection, via wireless to my laptop, which will then redirect it back across the wireless, back through the network to the N54L and onto its shared folder?

The whole point of me connecting the USB drive directly to the server was to remove the 'slow' wireless link from the equation, but if the above routing happens then I've gained nothing (in fact may have made it worse as it now goes from server to laptop, and back again!).

I presume if I log into the web interface and use File Station to do the copying then it will do it directly, but I was unsure if I could do it by using Explorer on the laptop (which is somewhat more user friendly).

Ok - I apologies if this is a stupid question, and I can't believe I don't already know this, but....

I have connected an external USB drive to my N54L, which then shows up as a share folder "usbshare1" when I navigate the N54L from my Windows laptop across the network.

If I use my Windows laptop to COPY files from the external USB drive (connected to the N54L) TO another shared folder (on the N54L) how is the data actually transferred?

Is the process intelligent enough to realise that the data is already on the correct machine, or will it route Off the external drive (connected to the N54L), onto the network connection, via wireless to my laptop, which will then redirect it back across the wireless, back through the network to the N54L and onto its shared folder?

The whole point of me connecting the USB drive directly to the server was to remove the 'slow' wireless link from the equation, but if the above routing happens then I've gained nothing (in fact may have made it worse as it now goes from server to laptop, and back again!).

I presume if I log into the web interface and use File Station to do the copying then it will do it directly, but I was unsure if I could do it by using Explorer on the laptop (which is somewhat more user friendly).