XPEnology Community

Migration from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6 questions

DejaVu

Very new to all this and am about to port from 5.2 to 6.1.5 (DSM_DS3615xs_15254 using Bootloader 1.02b ) on my Hp Gen8 1610T. 

Was set up for me by someone else before. I've read this thread thoroughly and am about to install afresh - I really need the Reverse Proxy settings available on v6!
I'm using a fresh new USB for install and leaving my 5.2 DSM key on the shelf, just incase. 

My question is, I have 24TB's of Data on my NAS. I do not want to lose anything and am pulling those drives during install (does install need a storage drive? DSM runs on USB Right?!)
After install, and plugging drives back in, can and will DSM recognise my stripped RAID from previous 5.2 build and just use it or do I have to completely backup 24TB's elsewhere (somehow) and reinstate the RAID from scratch? Drives will be put back in, in the correct order (obviously). 

Welcome the forum,

There is no reason why you would lose any data. The installation process does not touch the data partition, only the system partition were DSM is installed. You will not be able to install DSM if you pull your drives out. DSM being installed in each and every HDD as I said just before.

There is a multitude of people with HP GEN 8 and who have upgraded without an issue. A backup is always a good thing though.

I recommend you search the forum. I think there are a few threads on GEN 8. Also please read the FAQs before anything and follow the tutorial I made on how to upgrade DSM 5.2 to 6.1. See my signature.

• Like 1

I bit the bullet, added my drives, installed and all went perfectly - well, so far from what I can tell! 
If I can do it, anyone can. This is way too easy! 

Thanks for the advice Polanskiman. Now have to just install all the packages I had previously, which is fine!! :) 

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, DejaVu said:

I bit the bullet, added my drives, installed and all went perfectly - well, so far from what I can tell! 
If I can do it, anyone can. This is way too easy! 

Thanks for the advice Polanskiman. Now have to just install all the packages I had previously, which is fine!! :) 

So quick question: I face the same update/upgrade (same HP server) which how-to/instruction did you follow for this? Can you provide me with a link?

I really should upgrade/update mine. BTW: I boot mine from a MicroSD..

Thanks for hooking me up...