XPEnology Community

To SHR or not

George

Question

Hi all

Just starting out on Xpenology, originally was planning on buying a Synology... and that was primarily because of the SHR/Btfs combination.

After installing (for now playing around in a VirtualBox VM to get familiar with the features, until I get my HW and build the actual unit, still deciding if it will be Bare metal build or a Virtualbox build).

I created the Volume1 over the 4 drives I configured, immediately realised that this is being done on the previous steps RAID device created, at which time I struck me that this was not SHR.

My host will initially have 4 x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drives, with the plan of expanding with another 4 drives later, that might be 4TB drives, it might be larger.

If they are also 4TB, no problem. if they larger... waste of space.

Whats the general experience/feeling with SHR, discovered it's disabled by default on XPEnology.

G

4 answers to this question

I like to have the option, the initial build will be booting off USB, 4 x 4TB drives as primary media storage, I have some 2TB drives lying around that I can also slot in there, they will eventually be removed and replaced with whatever the budget can afford, prob more 4TB or maybe 8TB drives, and this is where I like the SHR idea, I can add them to the same volume.

If this was ZFS I would have added all these bigger drives into a 2nd separate volume of course.

How do I get access to SHR-2, I did the /etc.defaults changes to get SHR available, but did not see SHR-2 anywhere as a option.

G