XPEnology Community

Disk station not found

rsauw

Question

19 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, rsauw said:

My synology keeps on saying that there is no diskstation found. The NAS does give the interface it should give.

Please provide information regarding hardware, loader & DSM version used as it is impossible to provide you with help otherwise.

19 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Some questions

What Gen version is the ML350?

Have you successfully installed DSM or is this a pre install issue?

If the server has an ILO can you access the console and look at the boot logs?

Have you tried 6.1 loader?

Gen version: G5

Yes i have tryied 6.1 and it is the same and it is a pre install.

It has a ILO so how can i access those boot logs then?

3 minutes ago, rsauw said:

Gen version: G5

Yes i have tryied 6.1 and it is the same and it is a pre install.

It has a ILO so how can i access those boot logs then?

there is a nice guide here to access the serial port/ilo here

https://serverfault.com/questions/830748/how-to-enable-and-use-the-serial-terminal-of-a-hp-microserver-gen9

When you boot with the serial connection in view, you see the grub menu, then the boot sequence of drivers/modules and and any errors. 

Its possible that the broadcom NIC is not supported - have you tried replacing the default extra.lzma file with the enhanced extra.lzma file from @ig-88?

hi,

using 6.1 and extra.lzma might work on the nic but if he tries to use a hp controller most likely it will not work as the hpsa.ko is not working for 6.1, so 6.0 might be a better solution, polanskiman had a extra.lzma for 6.0 (not sure if its still available), also there was quicknicks loader for 6.0 with a lot of drivers

When i boot him up with the iLO in view i see no information about booting the NAS but i can see on the screen that it is working (intro, happy hacking early console in decompress_kernel ect) and i have not tried replacing the izma file, how can i access the that map?

37 minutes ago, rsauw said:

When i boot him up with the iLO in view i see no information about booting the NAS but i can see on the screen that it is working (intro, happy hacking early console in decompress_kernel ect) and i have not tried replacing the izma file, how can i access the that map?

You can download the enhanced extra.lzma file from the link in this thread

Follow the standard installation tutorial for how to edit the loader image to use this file

Once you can see the system on your lan you can see if the other hardware is compatible (Disk controller may not work as mentioned above).

On 08/02/2018 at 10:13 AM, sbv3000 said:

You can download the enhanced extra.lzma file from the link in this thread

Follow the standard installation tutorial for how to edit the loader image to use this file

Once you can see the system on your lan you can see if the other hardware is compatible (Disk controller may not work as mentioned above).

I'm sorry for my late reation but i was on vacation. I don't realy understand what you mean with the standaard installation tutorial do you happen to have a link for it?

Edited by rsauw

the install migrate tutorial is here

To check your vid/pid in Windows, open Computer Management and choose Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus tree and you should see USB Mass Storage Device. Open the device properties and choose the Details tab. From the Property drop down list, choose Device Instance Path, that should show the information.

4 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

the install migrate tutorial is here

To check your vid/pid in Windows, open Computer Management and choose Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus tree and you should see USB Mass Storage Device. Open the device properties and choose the Details tab. From the Property drop down list, choose Device Instance Path, that should show the information.

I found the VID and PIT in a diffrent way then you said because the the path that discribe here above because when i did that i got:

USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_USB_DISK_2.0&REV_PMAP\07A81C02BB4A004A&0

So i downloaded a program that did the trick.

I follow the guide untill step 8 because he can't find the disk station. I tried the web interface and the downloadable program and both of them can't find it. I also tried connecting it directly to my computer and still it does not want to show it self.

Try booting an Ubuntu Live CD and from the Terminal, run the lspci command. That will show you device IDs connected to the system and from that you can check your network adapter and disk controller.

Post your output so the forum can assist.

Also, just to check that you have two network leads connected to the server - one for the ILO and one for the main network connection?

On 21/02/2018 at 11:01 AM, sbv3000 said:

Try booting an Ubuntu Live CD and from the Terminal, run the lspci command. That will show you device IDs connected to the system and from that you can check your network adapter and disk controller.

Post your output so the forum can assist.

Also, just to check that you have two network leads connected to the server - one for the ILO and one for the main network connection?

I hope this is what you mean and yes i have indeed now 2 network cables going from the server.

IMG_20180305_160928.jpg

network: Broadcom BCM5708

driver is in my extra.lzma for 6.1 and is proven to work

storage: HP SA E200i - thats not going to work with baremetal dsm 6.1, quicknicks old 2.2 loader for 6.0 (at least it concains the driver for it) or one of the old 5.2 should work

with that

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

network: Broadcom BCM5708

driver is in my extra.lzma for 6.1 and is proven to work

storage: HP SA E200i - thats not going to work with baremetal dsm 6.1, quicknicks old 2.2 loader for 6.0 (at least it concains the driver for it) or one of the old 5.2 should work

with that

Please note that Quicknick's loader v2.2 is not available for download as it was retired by himself due to bugs.

the old extra.lzma that i have (i guess its the one polanskiman had for downloading) does not contain hpsa.ko (so the e200 controller will not work) and also a problem, the driver in question is bnx2.ko but the (6.0) extra.lzma does not contain firmware for this driver, even with jun's 1.02b we had problems of missing bnx2 firmware that i corrected in my (6.1) extra.lzma

i guess your best choice (beside using dsm 5.2) might be using 1.02b with my extra.lzma and ignore the e200 controller and use a controller that does work with dsm 6.1 like the 8 port controller i mentioned here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12158-dsm-only-sees-4-ports-with-marvell-88se9705/?do=findComment&comment=86148

(or maybe two cheap 4port syba marvell based controllers?)