XPEnology Community

Different brand / Model Harddisk

GroupPolicy

Question

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, GroupPolicy said:

the most important thing " speed and capacity " right?  İf all disk 7200 rpm and 1 tb no problem. 

Speed wise, if one disk is slower than the others then they will all go to the speed of the slowest one.

There is no 'problem' in having different brands of HDDs but I personally prefer having the same brand and model. That is just me. For home usage though you will be fine.

there are arguments about using a bigger number of disks (4 or 5 is not a big number) of the same brand without counter measures

vibrations of the same disks brand/type can give resonance and some hdd manufacturer have "enterprise" disk models that can handle this (like having vibrations sensors and "reacting" to the vibration of the other drives

typical behavior in that situation can be slower answer of the drive when heads are moved

but that has a lot a variables in it like how the drives are mounted, the case, ...

i remember about reading something where 6+ disks where mentioned but that was a manufacturer, maybe wanting to sell more expansive NAS or enterprise models

Reason for choosing same band/model is not really for vibration reasons in a home environment. That would be true in a corporate environment or if you have loads of hard drives one next to each other. I usually chose the same brand/model because I am sure there is no discrepancy in features. In fact for home usage you could easily chose WD Blue (former WD green) that it would not even make a difference with WD RED (for NAS).