XPEnology Community

Usb Flash Memory

GroupPolicy

Question

11 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Whatever edit you did on your current usb key make sure to make them in the new one. That is all.

By the way, I used the win32 disk image program for iso writing. I am using Windows 7, the drive becomes invisible after it is formatted. This is normal?  I see only in disk managment.

Disk.PNG

1 hour ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes it is normal. Unless you have Windows 10 I believe you have to use a third party software as described in my tutorial to access the drive. Not sure why you are using an iso format. Simply use the img as provided.

Thank you for your answer. Clearly, I'm not sure why I use iso :) Is there a difference between iso and img?

if you are using a "original" image from jun you will not be able to boot as jun's image contain the kernel from 6.1.(0) and if you updated your DSM to lets say 6.1.4 your system partition contains this and also your usb flash was updated with newer files from 6.1.4 so if possible read your flash drive, mount the image (as described in the tutorial with osfmount) change vid/pid to the values of your new flash drive, save, and write it to your new flash drive, when following this it should boot as before, when using jun's original again you will have to "repair"

this situation is comparable to to a original synology box where your hardware failed (disks ok), you get a replacement box and the usb flash in it contains a older boot loader the the one you where using on your old hardware and that is on the disks, inserting your disks will not work instantly as the version in usb flash recognizes the newer version on disk and will stop booting, that can be fixed with the synology assistant, i guess even synology might have a how to for this procedure

11 hours ago, IG-88 said:

if you are using a "original" image from jun you will not be able to boot as jun's image contain the kernel from 6.1.(0) and if you updated your DSM to lets say 6.1.4 your system partition contains this and also your usb flash was updated with newer files from 6.1.4 so if possible read your flash drive, mount the image (as described in the tutorial with osfmount) change vid/pid to the values of your new flash drive, save, and write it to your new flash drive, when following this it should boot as before, when using jun's original again you will have to "repair"

this situation is comparable to to a original synology box where your hardware failed (disks ok), you get a replacement box and the usb flash in it contains a older boot loader the the one you where using on your old hardware and that is on the disks, inserting your disks will not work instantly as the version in usb flash recognizes the newer version on disk and will stop booting, that can be fixed with the synology assistant, i guess even synology might have a how to for this procedure

Thank you very much for the detailed information