XPEnology Community

Source Required?

greg.one

Question

Before the latest update to 6.1.5-15254 I had compiled extra modules for firewire and firedtv so I could use my tv tuners which were working excellently with tvheadend. 

However post update the modules seem to no longer work. I'm guessing this is because the source is wrong and they need re-compiling against a newer source.

Under the sourceforge Synology NAS GPL Source I can find 15047  with the latest being 22259. I would guess the right one would be 15254 which we don't have?  

Any suggestions or should I compile on a trial and error basis and see what works?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Just to conclude this issue. 

I eventually re-compiled all the backports_dvb *.ko files with ref to This post changing it for the upto date sources, and inserted them into backports_dvb folder replacing existing files.

I left my previously compiled firewire modules and firedtv modules as they were. 

And it now works. I'm guessing that the dvb-core.ko file had been modified in some way on the last update. 

Thank you for the advice. It's a large learning curve for me, as I've never delved into linux based os before. 

hi,

22259 is dsm 6.2 beta

the latest available is 15152 (6.1.3)

you can try to compile you modules with that but maybe its also useful to check the log first about the reason, maybe dsm 6.1.5 does not contain a module that was part of dsm before, can also be a change in source code and if thats the case and its not working with 15152 build modules the only thing is to stay with the last working dsm version until source is available

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/files/Synology NAS GPL Source/15152branch/

Thank you for the replies, sorry to not update, it's been a very busy week.

I've checked dmesg log and it shows the modules loading in okay, in fact the firewire module loads in, then the firedtv modules load in and the cards are correctly recognised.  However looking at the tvheadend log it appears that is unable to access the hardware. 

I'm not sure if something else is using the hardware or if tvheadend group permission settings mean it doesn't have access rights. Permissions for the modules are all chmod 755.

I'm not sure quite where to go next with it. Maybe it might be better to go to the Tvheadend forums and get some more tips there. 

I've just rechecked the modules and am now getting unknown symbol in module when using insmod. I've tried re-copying the modules again from where I stored them after compiling with the same result. 

Not sure what this means, except maybe the drivers need recompiling again :-S

They were loading in when I used a local.rc file to insmod but would hang when trying to utilise them.