XPEnology Community

DSM not starting SOMETIMES in proliant gen8 G1610T

siulman

1 hour ago, siulman said:

yi, it does not involve a DSM resinstallation as you can just chose the option of "Migrate".

Migration IS a reinstallation.

That being said, and because of using a microsd, I have now it displayed as an “external drive” in my system… I’ve never seen that before with a pendrive. It has also created two shared folders that can’t be deleted as they are said to be used by the system.

This is a problem with 6.2.3 that is mostly encountered with virtualized DSM instances, but occasionally with baremetal.  Here's how to fix it:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28183-running-623-on-esxi-synoboot-is-broken-fix-available/

But I have a big issue: When migrating the DSM I chose the option of “downloading the latest version” which used to work. I already did this migration in the past. It installed 6.2.3-25426. When trying to update to 6.2.3-25426 update 2, it says “ Failed to install file. The file is probably corrupted

FixSynoboot should also correct your Error 21 corruption problem.

• Like 1

A couple of observations:

1. "Because of using a microsd" [there was an effect].  MicroSD vs USB pendrive does not generally cause the issue you describe.

2. "[The issue was fixed] with 3617xs".  This probably isn't accurate either given the number of success reports on your exact hardware. 

It's likely that a reinstall of DSM, or discontinuing use of an intermittently faulty pendrive was the resolving factor.

Edited by flyride

2 hours ago, flyride said:

A couple of observations:

1. "Because of using a microsd" [there was an effect].  MicroSD vs USB pendrive does not generally cause the issue you describe.

2. "[The issue was fixed] with 3617xs".  This probably isn't accurate either given the number of success reports on your exact hardware. 

It's likely that a reinstall of DSM, or discontinuing use of an intermittently faulty pendrive was the resolving factor.

Hello,

I thank you very much for your help but I am just sticking to facts. I spent my whole day on that. After your last statement I took again a new pen drive and flashed again the 3615xs. Same random boot issue.

So I took again a different pen drive this time (not the microsd) and went back to 3617xs. Boots perfect everytime... 

BTW, this time I don't have the shared folder appearing nor the external usb detected on the DSM. I don't know if it's related with the pen drive vs microsd. Also, I am running the latest 6.2.3 update 2 with no update issues.

Finally done. Hopefully it remains stable.

Thanks again for your support.

23 hours ago, siulman said:

Am I able to move to 3617xs now too? It was the only setup that "fixed" this issue for me.

i dont see why a gen8 microserver should not work with 3617 and dsm 6.2.3, maybe use a newer extra.lzma for newer drivers

also if you have iLO there should also be a virtual COM port you can use over network

@siulman 

FYI: I have read the thread, and I know you sorted out your problems for now 👍

I'm just curious, as I have never had that problem myself with My G8, that the card mounts as an external drive.

So Im asking you, as 1 techie to another: what VID/PID where you able to "pre-extract" from the microSD?

btw: how do you "pre-extract" the VID/PID from the microSD?

15 hours ago, bearcat said:

@siulman 

FYI: I have read the thread, and I know you sorted out your problems for now 👍

I'm just curious, as I have never had that problem myself with My G8, that the card mounts as an external drive.

So Im asking you, as 1 techie to another: what VID/PID where you able to "pre-extract" from the microSD?

btw: how do you "pre-extract" the VID/PID from the microSD?

No worries @bearcat, I always enjoy exchanging information, discussing and learning from others!

So, for the VID/PID, I always use a tool that I've found in the past and works for me. It's "ChipEasy_EN_V1.5.6.6.exe" in my case. I obtain the vid/pid with it and then with "osfmount_x64.exe" I just mount the pendrive and edit the grub.cfg with this values. Just following the tutorial in this site...

@siulman Then, I will give you a "lesson" that might help you the next time you want to use a MicroSD card in your G8 🤗

If you used that Windows(?) software to read out a VID/PID on a different computer than your HP G8 Microserver, you failed..

When using a MicroSD card to boot from a HP Gen8 Microserver you must use: VID 0x0424 - PID 0x4030

That is the internal card reader, (located on the USB bus).👍 It has been posted more than once here in the forum I think🤔

Using this VID/PID will "hide" the memorycard, and stop it from beeing mounted in DSM.

Edit:

BTW: as seen by this post from Omar, he also had some "funky problems" due to wrong/missing VID/PID on the MicroSD on his G8 setup.

Edited by bearcat

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

@siulman Then, I will give you a "lesson" that might help you the next time you want to use a MicroSD card in your G8 🤗

If you used that Windows(?) software to read out a VID/PID on a different computer than your HP G8 Microserver, you failed..

When using a MicroSD card to boot from a HP Gen8 Microserver you must use: VID 0x0424 - PID 0x4030

That is the internal card reader, (located on the USB bus).👍 It has been posted more than once here in the forum I think🤔

Using this VID/PID will "hide" the memorycard, and stop it from beeing mounted in DSM.

Edit:

BTW: as seen by this post from Omar, he also had some "funky problems" due to wrong/missing VID/PID on the MicroSD on his G8 setup.

Ahahah, thanks for that! I will remember it if I go to a microsd again someday. We always miss things when reading guides... Good to read it now.

However, my issue of "random boot issue" was not related to microsd as I had it with multiple pendrives way before now... since my first post actually...it's just I decided to keep always up my server as a "workaround".

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old post but I was facing this issue since a long time ago. I think I finally fixed it thanks to this post : 

In short : 
- Open bios settings
- CTRL+Q (or CTRL+A), this will show the "service options" hidden menu

- Click "Service Options"

- Disable "Processor Power and Utilization Monitoring"