siulman

DSM not starting SOMETIMES in proliant gen8 G1610T

Hello guys,

I am getting crazy with this one.

I have an HP Proliant gen8 G1610T with Jun 1.02b ds3615xs on it. Everything is running fine except sometimes when I reboot my server or I power it off/power on DMS is no starting!

Le USB drive is loading because I see the “Booting Kernel” or “uncompressing kernel” message on the CLI console but DMS does not start. I don’t see it in synoassistant and it’s not responding to a ping through the network.

How do I solve it? I just manually reset the server. Either reset from the ILO either power off / power on.

This issue is completely RANDOM. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not, and this is what is killing me. I have been days without the issue doing reboots and sometimes I have it everyday...

Should I test with ds3617xs? I searched on the forum but didn’t see this issue to others....

Help please.

check your network cables and switch connections

also check your router/dhcp server if you have set a static IP on the NAS or an address reservation on the router - only set one (I would recommend a router reservation)

if you run a network sniffer you should be able see if the DHCP request/response traffic

Are you using the native nic MAC address or a different one? - use the native MAC.

It sounds to me that there is some sort of problem with IP address being allocated and the above might help you trace it

Hello @sbv3000,

Thank you for your response. It’s funny, I am a network egineer so I have never questionned the network in this issue.... Specially because I had the same set up before with “openmediavault” and it was working perfectly. I am using a static @IP adress in the server out of the DHCP scope of the DHCP server. I’m going to try to put a reservation. That’s easy and we will see....

I am using the native NIC MAC adress. I changed that in creation process of the pendrive.

The DHCP server is a fortinet firewall, I should be able to debug and sniff the DORA process for the DHCP...I can try this also...

Are you sure there is no possible “loader” error or something?

2 hours ago, siulman said:

Are you sure there is no possible “loader” error or something?

You could try recreating the loader on a different USB stick to rule that out.

@sbv3000,

Same behavior with a reservation on the DHCP server. I had some hope as the first 4 or 5 reboots where ok but then it failed.... Sticks in “booting kernel”...but nothing happens....

I am really not sure about the network issue... any other idea?

@Dfds, I already tryed this, same issue...

Not sure if your model has the feature, but can you access the ilo ssh/serial port and watch the 'full boot' process? You might see a kernel panic/driver issue or other error.

Another test could be to use a spare hdd and create a clean install of DSM (disconnect your raid drives of course :) ) and see if you can replicate.

On 7.2.2018 at 12:15 PM, siulman said:

Hello guys.

Solved.

Upgraded to DS3617XS using a new pendrive.

Will try This tonight, i have the same Issue. 

Same here with Jun 1.02b ds3615xs, i dont have a screen plugged in so cannot see the status.  However I have switched to DHCP (not static or allocated on router) and so far seems to be OK. 

Any thoughts on why would changing to DS3617XS fix this, and where you got the idea?