XPEnology Community

DSM_DS3617xs Installation ERROR - The file is probably corrupt. (13)

Abs95

Question

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and after successfully installing DSM5 on my HP 6300 Pro (Intel Core-i5) I decided to install a fresh copy of DSM_DS3617xs but I keep getting an error once the installation reaches 56%. Full error is: " ! Failed to install the file. The file is probably corrupt. (13). ".

I tried downloading the file a few times but it's the same error each time. I even tried a new hard disk on a different SATA port, no luck. I already searched this forum but the threads are not easy to follow and couldn't really find a solution. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? Thank you.

25 answers to this question

Good news and bad news, the good news is that the installation was successful. The bad news, I never got the serial to work and the 2nd bad news is that I don't know why the installation worked. I was using the latest Rufus to create the USBs and also tried previous versions of it, it's straightforward and when it worked with the Ver. 5 DSM I didn't give it any further thought. After going through the FAQs again I thought I give Win32DiskImager a go, it worked first time and also with all my USB sticks (4G, 8G & 16G, changed VID/PID for each  one). Couldn't see any setups in Rufus that may cause the issue, its a mystery which I hate. The only possible reason I can think of is the first 15MB EFI system partition that once created cannot be erased under windows 10 disk-manager but I had to removed it using other third party software otherwise Win32Diskimager would fail when creating the image. Rufus on the other hand doesn't care which could be the problem.

41 minutes ago, Abs95 said:

If the VID/PID was incorrect I would imagine the loader would not boot but it seems to boot up correctly and so I'm assuming its correct.

Assumption is the mother of all F Us. The loader can boot with a wrong VID/PID but may not finish an install if the VID/PID is wrong. Instead of assuming check it.

I just got back to the issue and checked the PID/VID of my USB stick, these were identical to the default settings in the grub.cfg file.

USB details:  USB\VID_058F&PID_6387\BTEM1AXA

grub.cfg:        set vid=0x058f
                        set pid=0x6387

In fact last night I tried 4 other different USB sticks, all USB2 (4Gig, 2 x 8Gig and 16Gig). All had the same issue, and for each one I did update its PID/VID in grub.cfg. Could it be its storage controller? I have attached a JPEG showing the hardware when booted from its original OS. I have 2 x 2TB Seagate barracuda for the DSM but not shown as its disconnected when booting from windows.

HP_6300Pro_Spec.jpg

Edited by Abs95
Added more info

If the storage controller was the case you wouldn't be able to initiate the installation.

Try using a different USB port and make sure that in the bios USB is set to HDD. Also make sure to deactivate any unnecessary options in the bios.

Also when you are asked to provide the .pat file make sure you are providing it manually and not letting DSM download it for you. If you have already download it make sure the md5 is correct by comparing it with the md5 of the file which is provided by Synology. It should be right below the .pat file.

The BIOS settings are somewhat limited, the only related options I could change was to try both "IDE or AHCI" and the boot order to be "USB Hard disk", anything unnecessary has already been disabled. I also tried 6 different USB ports and checked the MD5 checksum using "certutil -hashfile dsm_ds3617xs_15217.pat MD5" which was successful when compared to "87a77046e3928ef350ba6ea19bfc4fdd". Furthermore, I always attempt the manual DSM install option first but I have tried the automatic which fails anyway.

Hi, sorry for the delay, was away all week. Firstly, thank you Tanguero, I had removed everything from the PC except the hard disk and the loader flash usb but made no difference. Polanskiman, thank you for the suggestions, I have attached a Serial-USB cable with the following settings ( 9600 baud, 8-data bits, no-parity, 1-stop bit) but cannot communicate using HyperTerminal or TeraTerminal. Are these settings correct or do I need a separate software for communicating via the serial port?

12 minutes ago, Abs95 said:

Hi, sorry for the delay, was away all week. Firstly, thank you Tanguero, I had removed everything from the PC except the hard disk and the loader flash usb but made no difference. Polanskiman, thank you for the suggestions, I have attached a Serial-USB cable with the following settings ( 9600 baud, 8-data bits, no-parity, 1-stop bit) but cannot communicate using HyperTerminal or TeraTerminal. Are these settings correct or do I need a separate software for communicating via the serial port?

They are correct if using putty.

6 hours ago, Abs95 said:

Not correct. Speed is 115200 bits sec - The rest is correct. No wonder you did not see anything.

4 hours ago, IG-88 said:

maybe just read whats set in grub.cfg

console=ttyS0,115200n8

ttyS0 is the first serial com port and ...

I spent a day in trying to get this serial to work. There seems to be absolutely no signal on the serial line during the loader bootup and until the installation fails at 56%. I tested the coms port (set to 3F8 in bios IRQ4) in windows 7 and that works fine with all my serial devices such as programmers I have around. I even probed serial pin-2 & 3 using a scope, no data can be seen on the line.

You also asked me to try a new serial number which I did with a new mac address and that came up with the same error (fails at 56%). I've attached the grub.cfg and the only changes you would see is the PID/VID of my USB stick.

grub.cfg

I was originally using the 1.02b, after it failed with various setups I then tried other loaders and each one failed. I basically sent you the last

tried grub.cfg that was on the machine. Also with the mac address I tired two ways, firstly I generated a mac address from a serial number I

had and secondly I used the adapters mac address and generated a serial from it, both setups made no difference. I will re-read the FAQs and

see if I missed something important. Will come back with a progress report.