XPEnology Community

Replacing my DS508

kackarsugar

Hi there,

I'm using a DS508 with 6tb of data for 10 years but it's a bit old and outdated, I want to upgrade it to enjoy new version of DS and Plex transcoding!

My plan was to use a N54L with ESXi 5.5 to set-up my new DS environemnt.

However I tried to read most of the tutorials there but I see some warning regarding AMD CPUs and I'm bit lost on which tuto and which strategy I should adopt in fact.

I've got ESXi 5.5 running on a N54L ready to use, what's your recommandations please ?

Hi & thank you for the warm welcome there !

I've read many other topics now and I think I will go for a baremetal install first and see later regarding the virtualization of my xpenology environment.

In my dreams I'd like to reuse my N54L for other purposes such as local server for dev/testing/sandbox.

Is there any cons to run XPEnology on a virtual machine?

4 minutes ago, kackarsugar said:

Hi & thank you for the warm welcome there !

I've read many other topics now and I think I will go for a baremetal install first and see later regarding the virtualization of my xpenology environment.

In my dreams I'd like to reuse my N54L for other purposes such as local server for dev/testing/sandbox.

Is there any cons to run XPEnology on a virtual machine?

It very much depends on what you want to do with it & personal preference. I have 2 HP microservers both running baremetal. As you've decided to go baremetal you could always install virtualbox to give you some virtualisation options.

8 minutes ago, kackarsugar said:

I've successfuly installed DSM 6.1.4 u1 following the tutorial.

I will play a bit with this version of DSM and make some test to migrate my existing data.

I was not aware that DSM now supports Virtualization... i'm stuck with a such old version on my DS508 ;)

Ahh yes things have moved on a bit since then, what DSM version were you running on the 508?

19 minutes ago, kackarsugar said:

DSM4.0 due to end of support from Synology.

I've just discovered that SHR is not supported anymore, I'm now wondering how I will migrate my 3 existing HDD into my N54L :D

No SHR isn't enabled by default but you can enable it quite easily. Check out the FAQ's, the installation one will tell you how to enable SHR.

As you're on DSM 4 there isn't a direct upgrade path to 6.1.4, you would need to upgrade in version order I.e.  4.0>4.3>5.0>5.2>6.1.  

Do do you have any spare disks that you could put into the N54L to do a clean install?

1 hour ago, kackarsugar said:

DSM4.0 due to end of support from Synology.

I've just discovered that SHR is not supported anymore, I'm now wondering how I will migrate my 3 existing HDD into my N54L :D

I've done a clean install with a spare 1gb drive that was used in my DS508 few years ago. It's recognized in DSM but not used yet.

I've added another 1gb spare drive in my DS508, created a new volume with SHR raid and uploaded 2 files on it.

Then I've moved that disk into the N54L and DSM has automaticaly recognized the new disk,  created a Raid Group 1 and recovered Volume 2 detected with SHR raid. The first spare drive is still marked as unused.

However the Storage Manager Overview shows an Attention message as it fails to access to system partition, asking to repaire it. When I click on the Repair linlk and I confirm, nothing happens.