XPEnology Community

Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 SATA card question

nimbu

Hi Guys,

I have an old HP ML110 G6, which I used to run DSM 5.x on ages ago.  Its been retired since then.  My friend wanted to get his storage consolidated without a huge spend.  He has 4x4TB and 3X3TB.

The ML comes with the 4 port SATA controller to the HD bay, but I need to add 3 more ports, I was wondering if the card below would work in the current latest Juns loader?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B00BUC3NNS?th=1

1 hour ago, nimbu said:

Hi Guys,

I have an old HP ML110 G6, which I used to run DSM 5.x on ages ago.  Its been retired since then.  My friend wanted to get his storage consolidated without a huge spend.  He has 4x4TB and 3X3TB.

The ML comes with the 4 port SATA controller to the HD bay, but I need to add 3 more ports, I was wondering if the card below would work in the current latest Juns loader?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B00BUC3NNS?th=1

Yes it is compatible.

• Thanks 1

• Polanskiman changed the title to Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 SATA card question
  • 4 weeks later...

After having finished installing and configuring DSM in the new hard drive attached to the Syba card I have connected again the 4 previous hard drives to the motheboard and powered on the NAS.

The problem now is that the machine keeps loading DSM from the 4 HDs instead from the new one...

What can I do without having to format the 4 HDs? :|

1 hour ago, Cr4z33 said:

After having finished installing and configuring DSM in the new hard drive attached to the Syba card I have connected again the 4 previous hard drives to the motheboard and powered on the NAS.

The problem now is that the machine keeps loading DSM from the 4 HDs instead from the new one...

What can I do without having to format the 4 HDs? :|

I would suggest you to remove that drive. Update DSM on the 4 drives. Format your 1TB drive and then put it back. DSM will detect it and ask you what you want to do with it.

I would suggest you to remove that drive. Update DSM on the 4 drives. Format your 1TB drive and then put it back. DSM will detect it and ask you what you want to do with it.
So I ask you just to be double sure... I will have then the option to install DSM on the new drive or just some migration stuff?

1 minute ago, Cr4z33 said:
47 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

So I ask you just to be double sure... I will have then the option to install DSM on the new drive or just some migration stuff?

DSM gets installed on any HDDs you add to the system. It's for redundancy.

Not sure what you did but whenever you plug a formatted drive onto a Synology/Xpenology machine, DSM normally asks you to initialise the drive. You can then use that drive as a single volume or add it to you RAID. You should go to the Storage Manager and check it there.

If you want to reset DSM you can simply reinstall DSM. This wont delete your data.

Not sure what you did but whenever you plug a formatted drive onto a Synology/Xpenology machine, DSM normally asks you to initialise the drive. You can then use that drive as a single volume or add it to you RAID. You should go to the Storage Manager and check it there.
If you want to reset DSM you can simply reinstall DSM. This wont delete your data.
Yeah DSM actually formatted and initialized the drive (I choosed basic / single drive), but that's all no other requests.

Do you know FOR SURE if by reinstalling DSM I will be asked on what Volume I want to setup it?

Also what method is suggested?
Edit the VERSION file or?

Sorry for going off topic by the way... :shy: