XPEnology Community

Locked Out of DSM

simono5

Question

Hopefully someone can help me.

As default I have the main 'Admin' account de-activated.

Last night I started to use LastPass and went to update my DSM password which I did successfully through the DSM GUI.

Unfortunately it looks like LastPass didn't capture my new password and therefore I have no idea what it is and unable to log in via the Admin account (as disabled) or my main account (password not known).

I've checked and double checked LastPass and also checked that Chrome hasn't captured the password.

What options do I have to gain access back to the NAS?

Thank you!

10 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Dfds said:

Have you tried rebooting & selecting the reinstall option

When I restart the NAS with a monitor plugged in the first screen I get to;

"This mod is brought to you by Jun.....etc, etc"

Not sure how to invoke the reinstall option.

2 minutes ago, simono5 said:

When I restart the NAS with a monitor plugged in the first screen I get to;

"This mod is brought to you by Jun.....etc, etc"

Not sure how to invoke the reinstall option.

What version of the loader are you running?

the boot selection might be only for 1s, try hitting down key after boot a few times until you see something beyond bios on monitor

in theory you can also boot a live/recue linux and try to fix the user by changing its password hash in the password file, never didi it but i guess it should work

http://www.c-integration.com/blog/showpost.php/83-reset-linux-root-password-without-knowing-the-password

Thank you both.  I stuck at it, recreated my boot USB, pressed keys as it booted and finally got the Reinstall option.  First time didn't force the pat file update but tried again and uploaded the pat file.  So I'm back in, lesson learnt and setting up my NAS from scratch with all data still present.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, simono5 said:

Thank you both.  I stuck at it, recreated my boot USB, pressed keys as it booted and finally got the Reinstall option.  First time didn't force the pat file update but tried again and uploaded the pat file.  So I'm back in, lesson learnt and setting up my NAS from scratch with all data still present.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciate it.

Glad to have been of assistance & that you're back up & running.