XPEnology Community

New to XPenology

jthorpe

Hi everyone, my name's John. I'm new to XPenology and looking to build my own. 

The parts I currently have are:

Case: Fractal Design Node 804

Motherboard: ASRock Rack Mini ITX DDR3 1333 C2550D4I

RAM: Kingston PC3-12800 4 GB (2 x 2 GB sticks) DIMM 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX)

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential Series 500 W 80+ Gold (SST-ST50F-ESG)

Thumb Drive: Verbatim Store 'n Stay 16 GB Nano USB 3.0 thumb drive

Other than drives, are these parts sufficient for a XPenology DIY build? If so, what steps do I need to finish building (I've seen a few videos that say go to XPenology.me and others say to go to synology.com for the pat file)?

DIY NAS Objectives:

1.) Able to add drives or larger drives to increase drive size without having to move data off then back on or losing data (i.e.: start off with 3 drives and be able to add drives and changing the RAID from a SHR1 to a SHR2 configuration to have up to 2 drive redundancy without moving or losing data)

2.) Remote access from outside network for uploading/downloading/streaming to computer/android/ or ios device

3.) Assign users and passwords on a URL connection to share media without allowing downloading of media files (i.e.: video files, music files - with a possible log of when user logged in/files accessed, etc.)

4.) Media streaming to computers/PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One/Boxee Box/etc. without access to other folders and files

5.) iTunes server - run iTunes in the background to allow home sharing within the home network

6.) Issues or errors notified via text/email

7.) Access via IOS app like My Cloud

8.) Use a UPS for the NAS build and have it shut down once battery has depleted

9.) Sync selected files/folders to a cloud drive or to another NAS

10.) Automatic weekly backup of all computers - keeping the last 5 backups before the oldest one rolls off

11.) A copy of each computers OS set up with all programs and settings for restoring to a new drive if needed

12.) Real time backup/sync of each computer

Also, can a link be set up to access another NAS devices on the same network? Also can the NAS build be mapped on a Windows computer to act like a locally connected drive within my home network or outside of my home network and connected to the internet?

Thanks,

John

• 2 months later...

With your streaming/downloading i'd recommend more RAM. You probably won't be fully happy performance wise with that board/proc combo but it's a great and inexpensive start and it'll definitely be more sufficient for far less money than most full retail Syno units.

I have 16gb currently and it gets tapped while using SABNZBD to download and RADARR/SONARR to process. I use them in docker containers and can easily see which one is using the resources that way. 

I'm no expert on this by any means. I've recently built my first Xpenology box.  But I may be able to answer some of your questions/concerns.
1) This isn't an issue with how Synologys SHR operates

2)I do this now. I have a reverse proxy setup so I have subdomains pointing to different thigns (tv.domain.com for sonarr, movies.domain.com for radarr, download.domain.com for sab www.domain.com for Web/Wordpress). This has been the hardest thing to do because of how strict i keep my pfsense firewall policies)

3)Easy enough, you may run into some issues initially the more you'll be able to figure out how DSM does things. You can't think of it like a windows share

4)Are you going to use Plex? I'd recommend plex.

5)I used to do this, I switched over to plex. I have the appletv4k plus all ios devices. I don't miss out on anything by not running itunes server realistically because I have the apple music subscription too

6)PUSH notifications are currently not registering for me, and I really haven't put effort into figuring out why. It just won't register

7)As long as your ports are configured currectly this is no issue

8)I can't comment on this one.

9)I used this a lot with legit syno devices at work and with my xpen at home. Works great

10)can't comment

11)Can't comment

12)Can't comment

I have a legit synology and my xpenology on my home internal network. I just access them with \\littlenas \\bignas in explorer

To map locally iscsi would be best, IMO. YMMV though. iscsi will allow the mapped area to appear as X:\ without having the little green network pipe (where it acts as a mapped drive). I can say this though. When initially setting things up I replaced my C:\Users\username\Downloads location with \\bignas\downloads and windows automagically enabled sync center and used my primary volume of my PC to cache and it ate all the space of my C:\ very quickly. I had to disable that and have since switched to iscsi which loads great each time the PC rebooted, as long as the NAS is running.

I hope the above helps answer some of your questions. Google has been the biggest help. I've only ran into one issue that wasn't solvable by googling, so I wiped the box and started over and that fixed everything.