XPEnology Community

Different MAC for Jun 1.02b loader

Maxhawk

When I used Jun's 1.02b loader on a spare PC it was a simple process with ESXi to create a VM, copy the synoboot.img and .vmdk files to the VM, and create a drive pointing to synoboot.vmdk. I did this multiple times while getting used to the installation process and trying ds3615xs vs ds3617xs.

I used the exact same process on the R720xd I just received this week and couldn't get it working. Xpenology was not being assigned an IP address (I was looking at my router's lease table). I eventually found some internet threads saying you can go into the command line during boot and type in set mac1=00x11x32x2cxa7x85. This allowed DHCP to get an address and Xpenology worked as expected. The MAC address that showed up in my router matched the address that ESXi was assigning the network card. After a few iterations of this I decided to hard code the IP address in DSM (as opposed to setting static IP assignment by MAC that I normally do). This however still would not work unless I used the 'set mac1=' command during boot.

After some research I found you could update the grub.cfg with a new MAC and serial number. I couldn't figure out how to extract grub.cfg from the synoboot.img but I was able to find MAC address in synoboot.img with a hex editor:

rR6NFeRl.png

I changed this to my ESXi assigned MAC address (00:0c:29:61:e4:a4) but I still couldn't the loader to get an IP address but would if I used set mac1=00x11x32x2cxa7x85. Is there a way to change the default MAC address in synoboot or am I stuck with manually assigning 00:11:32:2c:a7:85 to Xpenology?

On 1/19/2018 at 6:48 AM, Maxhawk said:

[...] I used the exact same process on the R720xd I just received this week and couldn't get it working. Xpenology was not being assigned an IP address (I was looking at my router's lease table). I eventually found some internet threads saying you can go into the command line during boot and type in set mac1=00x11x32x2cxa7x85. This allowed DHCP to get an address and Xpenology worked as expected. The MAC address that showed up in my router matched the address that ESXi was assigning the network card. After a few iterations of this I decided to hard code the IP address in DSM (as opposed to setting static IP assignment by MAC that I normally do). This however still would not work unless I used the 'set mac1=' command during boot. [...]

Have you read the tutorial I made?

It is all explained there how to change the mac address. Either by changing it on the grub.cfg file or through command line. As for setting the mac address through  command line you actually do not need to add 'x' between each pair. Simply write all the mac address without any additional character. Also note that adding a value through command line ends up having the same result as editing the grub.cfg file. The only difference is that the value is saved in the 'grubenv' file instead of the grub.cfg file. Make sure the image is set to be writable else any modification won't stick.

Thanks @Polanskiman, I hadn't paid attention to that tutorial since it was about migrating and not a fresh install, and as a noob I didn't realize the steps were relevant to a fresh install. Now it makes sense, but I didn't think to revisit the thread.

Will DSM complain if I try to change the loader's serial number on an existing 6.1.4 installation?

Actually the tutorial clearly states that it is both for installs AND migration. It is stated in the title and throughout the tutorial at various occasions ;)

No, DSM will not complain about a S/N change. You could change it 100 times that it would not matter. In fact the S/N is merely used to validate DSM and to make certain DSM functions fully work or not (for example QuickConnect or some packages like Video Station or others). Since Synology is now able to recognise invalid S/N those functions will not work but there are alternatives like Custom DDNS (for external access) or Plex (for video transcoding or streaming) among others.

• 1 month later...

so summarising 2 parts here, changing the MAC address and the Synology S/N after install have no negative impact.

I'm still using (going to use to lab things before doing it on the bare metal build) my VM with the default MAC, so need to change this one so that it does not conflict with my Bare metal build now.

Do I have to change the S/N? or can I leave it as is in the supplied synoboot.img

G

12 minutes ago, George said:

so summarising 2 parts here, changing the MAC address and the Synology S/N after install have no negative impact.

I'm still using (going to use to lab things before doing it on the bare metal build) my VM with the default MAC, so need to change this one so that it does not conflict with my Bare metal build now.

Do I have to change the S/N? or can I leave it as is in the supplied synoboot.img

G

You can change both MAC and S/N. Use your NICs MAC on baremetal.

For the S/N you can leave it or generate a new one as stipulated in the tutorial.

• Like 1