XPEnology Community

Update strategy from 5.2 to 6.1

Hi all,

I currently happily use a HP Proliant microserver (gen 7 - HP56L) running on a 5.2 DSM.
I want my setup to be a bit more secure and updated so DSM 6 is on the table. But I would like a fresh clean install for the core system and still keep my data (pure files, not setup nor apps/packages).
My setup is pretty standard : 3 x 3TB HDD, on 1 volume ( 5.5TB) in SHR mode.
What strategy would you use to achieve that goal ? Apart from a full backup which is still possible but slow...

thks all !

Arnaud

Edited by arnoz

3 hours ago, Polanskiman said:

Have you read the tutorial I made on how to upgrade DSM 5 to DSM 6.x ? Read it, it is all there in great details.

Yep, read it as soon as you posted it back in september. It is very well done but I didn't find the way to have a clean install (with no previous modules from 5.2) AND the data kept in place. Did I overlook something ?

24 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

Yes you did. Read point number 8.

Just follow the instructions and either chose "Install" if you wish to have a clean install 
or 
chose “Migration” if you are coming from DMS 5.2 and wish to update while retaining your data. 

that is why I didn't think that a clean install would keep my data safe, you mentioned that option only for the "Migration" path...

So It is correct to understand that a clean install keeps the files on the data volumes but removes any configuration or modules from previous xpenology install, and that the migration moves every thing (data + configuration + modules) from previous setup to the new one ?

34 minutes ago, arnoz said:

Just follow the instructions and either chose "Install" if you wish to have a clean install 
or 
chose “Migration” if you are coming from DMS 5.2 and wish to update while retaining your data. 

that is why I didn't think that a clean install would keep my data safe, you mentioned that option only for the "Migration" path...

So It is correct to understand that a clean install keeps the files on the data volumes but removes any configuration or modules from previous xpenology install, and that the migration moves every thing (data + configuration + modules) from previous setup to the new one ?

DSM never touches the secondary partition where your data is. Fresh install or migration is virtually the same thing from a data standpoint. From a system standpoint it is different as one basically cleans up the system partition and then reinstalls DSM and the other simply updates all necessary files while keeping your settings and packages.

• Thanks 1