XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

11 hours ago, Aetherone said:

That's great. I went through my collection of sticks and found the downside to buying premium Sandisk ones is the lack of generic controllers according to ChipGenius.
Hence why I thought it's be easier (and neater) to just order a DOM. Seems otherwise.
If you've got a suggestion for something currently available I can go and order from Amazon that'd be appreciated.

On the upside, I tried flashing the DD IMG from the stock DOM with Rufus. This partition layout seems promising yes?

DD_Image_Rufus.jpg

There is no point in buying new USB sticks. A different chip may be installed in the same item with the next order.

As described in #229, find one with an "Alcor Micro" controller and run this tool.

However, my original know-how was only partially reflected there. Instead of ChipGenius I use the temple.exe tool from
https://the-sz.com/products/temple/
If a 200ma chip is displayed there, the chip matches the software. The 500ma one is excluded.

Edited by DSfuchs

50 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

There is no point in buying new USB sticks.

Damn, are we totally reliant on old USB sticks at this point?  How long do we expect them to last in this situation?

Might there be something to finding a suitable DOM that can be PID/VID modded and using those?  Or simply get everything working with an old USB before DD imaging it back to the stock DOM?

I have managed to turn up an pretty old Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly that's reported as having a SMI controller and I think I've managed to persuade the SMI tool to modify it.

It's very late here so I'm calling it a night, but I presume the next steps would be to flash the DD image to the USB and then remove the stock DOM and see if my 1812+ will boot from the new drive.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aetherone said:

Damn, are we totally reliant on old USB sticks at this point?  How long do we expect them to last in this situation?

Might there be something to finding a suitable DOM that can be PID/VID modded and using those?  Or simply get everything working with an old USB before DD imaging it back to the stock DOM?

I have managed to turn up an pretty old Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly that's reported as having a SMI controller and I think I've managed to persuade the SMI tool to modify it.

It's very late here so I'm calling it a night, but I presume the next steps would be to flash the DD image to the USB and then remove the stock DOM and see if my 1812+ will boot from the new drive.

Untitled-1.jpg

I would also change the device name to "Diskstation".

On 4/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, pignon said:

Huge thanks to DSfuchs would helped me to get my 11 years old DS412+ running on DSM7. Everything is fine and my NAS is now ready for another decade !

Hello Mr Pignon ☺️,

So pas besoin de stick avec changement de VID PID ?

Did you just follow these instructions above or did you do any additional steps please ?

I had very hard time to have F400 stick and even I broke my windows with countless Alcore soft downloaded from grey Russian site... Really struggling a lot with this since I don't have any compatible stick.

Thanks

In connection with this topic, from my own experience, I can only strongly advise against looking around on such gray Russian websites, too. ChipGenius and other software were also infected with viruses.
Many people have already searched these sources from A to Z without any results.

Edited by DSfuchs

2 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

In connection with this topic, from my own experience, I can only strongly advise against looking around on such gray Russian websites, too. ChipGenius and other software were also infected with viruses.
Many people have already searched these sources from A to Z without any results.

Hello DSFuchs,

I'm paying high attention to your indications and trying to follow them.

However, when you say "find one with an 'Alcor Micro' controller" this is difficult for new dudes like me since how can I know whether a stick memory has this type of memory or controller before buying it...impossible for me. For instance, is the USB stick ADATA C906 8GB will do the job ?

Or even better, I'm not sure whether I understood correctly but here are points that still puzzling me :

1) If we even have a compatible stick we need to remove the original USB DOM board ? If yes, then why don't we simply backup the content of the DOM and install the new firmware directly on the DOM and reuse it without removing or doing any hardware intervention ?

2) Is the DSM running from USB DOM or HDD ?

3) If Adata C906 is compatible and I success to upgrade, does it mean that the stick needs always be connected to the front USB port or it is just for booting and installin ?

Depending on your answers I will either but C906 or preferably do as Monsieur PIGNON (Sacré toi Pignon !) and do it on command line with SSH and DD and so on ....

Thanks again for your great helps for the Community Mr DSFuchs !

On 3/9/2024 at 3:05 PM, Sears said:

On the other hand I'm trying to find an usb stick with modifiable PID/VID as a backup plan, but can't find an ADATA stick over here. Are there other known models to have the phison or other configurable chip in it?

Update: Found an old Phison USB stick, flashed the PID/VID in a Windows XP VM and restored the original img. My DS booted finally from the USB stick, and once I've got terminal access I restored the img to the DOM directy on the Synology. Everything works again now, thanks for the hints : )

Admittedly the flash tools are indeed a bit shady but got the job done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yakup said:

Hello DSFuchs,

I'm paying high attention to your indications and trying to follow them.

However, when you say "find one with an 'Alcor Micro' controller" this is difficult for new dudes like me since how can I know whether a stick memory has this type of memory or controller before buying it...impossible for me. For instance, is the USB stick ADATA C906 8GB will do the job ?

Or even better, I'm not sure whether I understood correctly but here are points that still puzzling me :

1) If we even have a compatible stick we need to remove the original USB DOM board ? If yes, then why don't we simply backup the content of the DOM and install the new firmware directly on the DOM and reuse it without removing or doing any hardware intervention ?

2) Is the DSM running from USB DOM or HDD ?

3) If Adata C906 is compatible and I success to upgrade, does it mean that the stick needs always be connected to the front USB port or it is just for booting and installin ?

Depending on your answers I will either but C906 or preferably do as Monsieur PIGNON (Sacré toi Pignon !) and do it on command line with SSH and DD and so on ....

Thanks again for your great helps for the Community Mr DSFuchs !

The sticks that you own or can see from family and friends. As I wrote in #247:

You can use any USB stick if you have the manufacturer's software tool to change the VID/PID. I have a drawer full of them.

to 1) There are two different situations here. For some the DOM is defective, for others they would like to upgrade the device to a different model.

- Defect => new flash memory

- Modding =>#242

to 2) hard drive

to 3) It must be compatible with “Synology”, not “Adata”. The flash memory is only needed to start/stop the device or while installing firmware updates.

Monsieur PIGNON did both. He changed the model some time ago and repaired it last week with USB sticks from me.

So if we already know that the DOM will soon no longer be able to function due to the aging process, we should remove the still functioning DOM, put it in the drawer to be on the safe side and proactively go on with a new flash memory.

Edited by DSfuchs

5 hours ago, yakup said:

this is difficult for new dudes like me since how can I know whether a stick memory has this type of memory or controller before buying it...

Agreed, this is possibly the biggest stumbling block here - not everyone has a drawer full of ancient old sticks. The vast majority of mine have already been written to death or given away as uselessly small years ago and their modern replacements - even the cheap giveaway ones - do not have controllers recognised by chip genius.

I got lucky that my nearly 10 years old Memtest stick was suitable. It's a 4Gb Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly. The Phison based 2Gb Toshiba SLC DOM I purchased was not.

I'm hoping to do all the experimentations on the USB drive so if I kill it or corrupt the image or whatever, I can just put the Synology DOM back in and we're back up and running. Ideally I can find a programmable DOM because all-internal is neater but a USB stick will do for the R&D.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aetherone said:

Agreed, this is possibly the biggest stumbling block here - not everyone has a drawer full of ancient old sticks. The vast majority of mine have already been written to death or given away as uselessly small years ago and their modern replacements - even the cheap giveaway ones - do not have controllers recognised by chip genius.

I got lucky that my nearly 10 years old Memtest stick was suitable. It's a 4Gb Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly. The Phison based 2Gb Toshiba SLC DOM I purchased was not.

I'm hoping to do all the experimentations on the USB drive so if I kill it or corrupt the image or whatever, I can just put the Synology DOM back in and we're back up and running. Ideally I can find a programmable DOM because all-internal is neater but a USB stick will do for the R&D.

Hi Aetherone,

we are completely aligned !

By the way, I think I do have the same Lexar stick, I was thinking too try Lexar soft to change the VID/PID accordingly to DSFuchs instructions.

Which soft did you use to change PID VID of the Lexar please ?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Aetherone said:

No ancient old sticks are in my drawer, older but still 8GB ones. They even have the metallic color of the Diskstation case. Like ebay item 395271211970.

New "anthracite" ones I found with item 402060558457. But it is questionable whether the chip is 200ma and identical.

Edited by DSfuchs

3 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

Like ebay item 395271211970 ... item 402060558457

I had to search ebay.de to find those numbers, not my native .com.au or the plain .com.
Looks like "Intenso" is a local brand for you based on worldwide searching. Agreed, it's questionable if the product line has stuck with flashable controllers.

I found a "Micro Line" variant available via China. Thinking about grabbing a small one to see if it's flashable as that form factor would work very well with the front USB ports.

s-l1600.jpg.660aa1d37412d879c340ea1ecb6952c1.jpg

3 hours ago, yakup said:

By the way, I think I do have the same Lexar stick, I was thinking too try Lexar soft to change the VID/PID accordingly to DSFuchs instructions.

Which soft did you use to change PID VID of the Lexar please ?

ChipGenius_v4_19_0319 identified my stick as a "SMI SM3252C - ISP 100425-MI-r" with Micron flash.  I found "smi_mptool_v2.03.20_v4" dated 25/02/2013 was able to recognise it and reprogram it's identity. Yes the tool came from a Russian site, so antiviral cautions are well advised.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sears said:

Update: Found an old Phison USB stick, flashed the PID/VID in a Windows XP VM

Wait, an XP VM?  Is the Phison software not compatible with newer operating systems?

32 or 64 bit?  I might have to dig the retro box out of the shed if this is the case?!?!

I would like to once again urgently point out the need to back up every DOM of Synology + models. It's done in a few seconds.

Simply run via SSH with root:

dd if=/dev/synoboot of=/volume1/myShare/DS412+synoboot-6.2.4u5.img

where "myShare" is your share for general purpose. Of course, it only makes sense if the file is then downloaded from the Synology to another location.

Edited by DSfuchs