XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

11 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought the problem was a defective DS716+

It is but i don't get why you are mentioning selling the unit to you or providing proof of purchase or business packages.

I have bought a defective DS716+ and it fires up and i can connect to it over the network, psu has been tested and good.  when i try to set the device up it can not see the hard disks to initialise, these are blank drives just for testing.  I was curious if the USB DOM image may be the issue as it's a beta version of DSM 7 also so wondering if it's crashed during an upgrade/update or similar.  Your responses are extremely cryptic.

17 minutes ago, chickey said:

It is but i don't get why you are mentioning selling the unit to you or providing proof of purchase or business packages.

I have bought a defective DS716+ and it fires up and i can connect to it over the network, psu has been tested and good.  when i try to set the device up it can not see the hard disks to initialise, these are blank drives just for testing.  I was curious if the USB DOM image may be the issue as it's a beta version of DSM 7 also so wondering if it's crashed during an upgrade/update or similar.  Your responses are extremely cryptic.

try the downgrade to 6.2.4

2 hours ago, DSfuchs said:

You're now totally off topic then. Not the DS412+ and not the flash module either.

You're a brave chickey if you start buying a broken DS716+ 🙄

I agree it's getting off topic so will make a new thread, was just going with the usb dom image theme.  It was your responses which were cryptic unless that was you being funny.  Re the downgrade that is not a bad shout.  Shall try that and create new thread otherwise.  thanks for the help.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DSfuchs said:

Ask the right question in the right thread and nothing is confused and/or cryptic. Especially not from the experienced people here.

Your answers were most certainly cryptic.  All you had to say was please start a new thread as i don't think that is relevant enough.

• Angry 1

On 3/23/2023 at 4:28 AM, chickey said:

Sorry to drag up an old thread but do you have an image of the RS814+ with serial removed as just gotten a DS412+

To convert your "just gotten" DS412+ to RS814+ you don't need an image of RS814+. All that is needed is your current DS412+ image (earlier than 6.2.4-25556 Update 6) four files from DSM_RS814+_25556.pat and vender 2 file with your SN/MACs and chk sums edited in exactly as described by DSfuchs.  The process works.    

Thanks to TN-Notebooks for details on calculating checksums here.   

If you are interested in replacing the DOM, you can do it yourself or I'm sure people are selling them by now although USB thumb drive is simpler.   If you are going the DOM route, I suggest getting one of these

DOMs.jpg

Edited by 7up_

10 hours ago, 7up_ said:

To convert your "just gotten" DS412+ to RS814+ you don't need an image of RS814+. All that is needed is your current DS412+ image (earlier than 6.2.4-25556 Update 6) four files from DSM_RS814+_25556.pat and vender 2 file with your SN/MACs and chk sums edited in exactly as described by DSfuchs.  The process works.    

Thanks to TN-Notebooks for details on calculating checksums here.   

If you are interested in replacing the DOM, you can do it yourself or I'm sure people are selling them by now although USB thumb drive is simpler.   If you are going the DOM route, I suggest getting one of these

DOMs.jpg

Hi Thanks for the message.  I ended up doing it exactly the way you described.  The only issue i did have that is after the upgrade several packages like file station would not run and could not be repaired.  I tried to manually remove these as would have been done on dsm 6 but that did not work so i went for the nuclear option and did a reset and then manually installed the latest DSM 7 pat file i could get away with and it all worked great.  Thanks for the links i've seen the DOM modules but in this case i didn't need it.  I also have a USB stick as a fallback which i've been able to change the pid/vid to F400 so can boot off that if required.

Hi everyone! I am joining this conversation after reading and re-reading it but because I have a doubt and a particular situation. I purchased a DS713+ which gives a wonderful pulsing blue light. After checking and doing all possible checks, I decided to check the DSM in the DOM. I connected the DOM to the pc following the guide in the post and managed to make a backup with HDDRawCopy. What I am wondering is, how do I get into the volume and eventually reinstall the DSM from 0?

Thank you all for any support you can give me, it is gold to me.

26 minutes ago, exibocinemaz said:

Hi everyone! I am joining this conversation after reading and re-reading it but because I have a doubt and a particular situation. I purchased a DS713+ which gives a wonderful pulsing blue light. After checking and doing all possible checks, I decided to check the DSM in the DOM. I connected the DOM to the pc following the guide in the post and managed to make a backup with HDDRawCopy. What I am wondering is, how do I get into the volume and eventually reinstall the DSM from 0?

Do you want to reset the DS back to it´s original state ( as if you just unbox)? if so, there is a reset bottom  on the back side.

Unfortunately, it does not work. If I press reset, nothing happens. I don't know if the motherboard is defective at this point, but I can't go on. Frontally it just flashes the blue light. If I insert an HDD then the LAN also flashes but Synology assistant does not see the NAS. I am tempted to do the 100ohm fix even though it is not a c2000 (should have d2700). I tried changing both battery and ram, nothing changed. It will probably end up in the landfill soon, I wanted to try to fix it though.

2 hours ago, exibocinemaz said:

1. try the thermal-method like #50

2. build a replacement DOM or USB memory stick that also reports 0xf400/0xf400

3. use my uploaded DS713+ img

post-986253

and recover the vender file with 4.

4. if 1. doesn't work, send a PM

2 hours ago, exibocinemaz said:

Geht leider nicht. Wenn ich Reset drücke passiert nichts. Ich weiß nicht, ob das Motherboard zu diesem Zeitpunkt defekt ist, aber ich kann nicht weitermachen. Frontal blinkt es nur das blaue Licht. Wenn ich eine HDD einstecke dann blinkt das LAN auch aber der Synology Assistent sieht das NAS nicht. Ich bin versucht, den 100-Ohm-Fix zu machen, obwohl es kein c2000 ist (sollte d2700 haben). Ich habe versucht, sowohl Akku als auch RAM zu wechseln, nichts hat sich geändert. Es wird wahrscheinlich bald auf der Deponie landen, aber ich wollte versuchen, es zu reparieren.

Nothing else normally breaks on a DS713+. Unnecessarily soldering on the motherboard with spare parts from a completely different NAS is nonsense.

17 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

1. Probieren Sie die thermische Methode wie #50 aus

2. Erstellen Sie ein Ersatz-DOM oder einen USB-Speicherstick, der ebenfalls 0xf400/0xf400 meldet

3. Verwenden Sie mein hochgeladenes DS713+-Bild

nach 986253

und stellen Sie die Vender-Datei wieder her mit 4.

4. wenn 1. nicht funktioniert, schicke eine PN

Sorry, I forgot point 0.

0. the backup with HDDRawCopy must be checked for completeness.

Try booting with the 4 replaced files from the 2nd partition

To avoid using cmd line or linux to replace files and create USB drive...

Download DSM_RS814+_25556.pat from Synology.  Using 7-zip, open archive, then open 1.EFI System.img.  You will see the 4 files required.  Highlight and extract to a folder on your desktop.  

1. In Windows, write your .img file to USB drive with software of your choice, Etcher, USBIT, etc 

2. Plug USB drive your just wrote into your NAS and from PC login to NAS.

3. Go to File Station and you should see USB drive.

4. From USB drive partition 2, you will see files which you need to replace.  Delete first and then copy, drag and drop, directly from PC.  In addition, you will also need an edited vender file that replaces the existing file in partition 2.   

USB drive now ready to boot from from front port once internal USB DOM removed.  

Guys here I am again. I have tried some of the steps you suggested and will try to update you step by step. 

DSfuchs:
0. I was finally able to access the DOM and view the files. I had to do this with Ubuntu because Windows would not allow me to see the files inside. In the 16 mb partition I have 5 files and 1 EFI/boot folder with 3 files inside; in the other partition I have 7 files including the famous vender file. 

IMG_1892.thumb.jpeg.08e94047792891cf41da77fab173954a.jpeg

1. I haven't tried to bake everything yet, but I'm thinking about it ahahah.
2. i tried to build a UT163 flash drive with pid/vid 0400 and giving as a base the DOM: backup didn't work. The synology keeps blinking for more than 10 minutes and doesn't give any sign of life.
3. i tried your img but equally failed. I must admit that I tried without changing any files because I could not open/download the contents of the DOM. now that I succeeded I will try again.
4. i would really like to have you here beside me but i am holding back from doing so, so i will try to update you step by step.

7up_:
I tried the mode you recommended but unfortunately windows will not allow me to access either the DOM or the usb once flashed with HDDRaw backup. With Ubuntu I was at least able to access and download data from the DOM (which is already a big step forward from before).

As I said I will try to update you step by step. What I will do now is to create yet another backup of the DOM but on Ubuntu, flash the USB with DSfuchs' IMG and replace the files as he described. If you have any other ideas I am here!

Thanks again to everyone for the support you are giving me!

My apologies as I overlooked you are currently unable to boot up and login to your NAS so of course you could not use the method as described although you can use a similar process with Ubuntu as it sounds like you did.  

BTW, I realize you don't see the contents of the USB drive once you flash an .img however Windows will still recognize you have a the drive plugged in.  With USB Image Tool you can flash an .img or make a direct copy (.img) of the USB drive or DOM as a backup.  With Chip Genius verify you have VID/PID set to F400.  

Without correct VID/PID on your USB drive, it will never boot up.   Did you verify your USB drive is modified correctly?

Edited by 7up_

UPDATE

Finally the NAS booted up with a USB with a copy of the DOM. Now when i try to install DSM it asks me to wait 10 minutes, but then the Syn restart and it doesn't go on with the install. What do you think it could be? The USB as DOM or maybe the HDD? I'm stuck 😕 (but better than before xD)

14 hours ago, exibocinemaz said:

I've tried with the original files that were on the DOM. i can try with another HDD maybe... 

EDIT:

A new HDD worked! So guys, now i'm online in the NAS. Thank you so much for everything! So the problem was the DOM (i'll replace that) and the Pid/vid on the usb. The fact that the boot up is really slow (2 minutes and 30 seconds) is a problem of the usb, right?

IMG_1902.jpeg

@DSfuchs  After reading this thread several times it looks like I can convert my DS412+ to appear as a RS814+ and upgrade to DSM 7+.

My DS412+ is running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.

I extracted the checksum.syno, grub_cksum.syno, zImage, and rd.gz from the DSM_RS814+_25556.pat as mentioned in post #35, rebooted the Synology which beeped and started flashing yellow.  I took the flashing yellow light as the attempt did not work.

Next I replicated the same steps using the DSM 7.0.1 version for the RS814+ with the same results.

The previous posts mention a vender file on the 2nd partition which does exist currently on my DS412+ but it's unclear how to get a RS814+ version and modify it with my SN/MAC.

Also there is mention in previous posts of "vender_format_version=2", where and how does that change take place?

@7up_  You mention in post #57 that the current DS412+ image needs to be earlier than 6.2.4-25556 Update 6.  Is it possible to downgrade from 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 to 6.2.4-25556 Update 5?

Also @7up_ you mention in post #66 "1.EFI System.img."  but I do not see that file in the DSM_RS814+_25556.pat?  Am I missing something?

I restored the backup and the DS412+ is working as expected on 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 but I would like to get to DSM 7.

Any help is appreciated.

Hello, you only need #35 to do. This can be done via a hardware intervention or via an SSH session. What did you do?
In both cases, the hardware has to be properly removed, otherwise it's shot. In the SSH session, it would be an "umount".

All attempts with DSM7 files result in scrap. If you don't have vendors in the new format, switch to DS713+