XPEnology Community

DS412+ USB flash module pinout

wool

• 1 month later...

hi,

I was experimenting as well with this on my spare DS1511+ Diskstation.
I made an back-up of the USB Flash drive, and got Xpenology and other operating systems running on the diskstation.
It's very funny...

the DS1512+ as well as for example the DS1010+ and DS710+ and some other models, have a fully working VGA port which let's you acces the bios and boot from usb drives etc.

If anyone is interessted, I can share some info about my flash module..

• Like 1

hi Sure,

Sharing np.
But why not run Xpenology on your DS1010+ ? 

Before modding anything, make a back-up or your original flash module first !
and get it out of the case, and put it safely away so you won't accidentally erease or modify the boot files.
(this mistake happend to many other users already) 

Would be nice indeed to see if it will work, when you use my boot rom code of my spare DS1511+...

On 16-1-2018 at 7:38 AM, wool said:

Hi,

Here is a pinout of the DS412+ USB flash module, part 08-0220USB14 v1.4

I hope this helps someone. Be careful. Happy hacking.

- wool

synology-usb-flash-08-0220usb14-v1.4.png

Hi,
Have you already made an Back-up of the flash module.. ?
I have used Acronis True Image 2018 (sector by sector), from my DS1511+ flash module already..
If so maybay we can all of us share our flash modules, but we must keep in mind that the serial number is also visible in the flash module.
Maybay delete the serial first, and then create a new extra back-up for sharing..

11 hours ago, Huberer said:

Ok, thanks for the info. I will do in the next days. But just one question. Why not remove the flash module and boot the DS from an external thumb drive, where the loader is located?

Hi, this is not that easy.
i have tried booting from a usb stick running a clone of the original..
Thats not working correctly yet, but I'm close to it i think..
It appears what I think that the diskstation is only listening to a certain specific synology PID/VID value of their own flash module

If you run your own flash usb-drive, with a clone or the original you need to modify the stick.
more info can be read over here : 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, 

I was just given a DS1511+, previous own had upgrade to newer unit. I was told and confirmed that there is an issue with the DSM not being able to update. I have a feeling that there might have tweaked the flash module. Is it possible to manually in stall the DSM on the flash module? If so if someone is willing to share a working image that would be greatly appreciated 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2018 at 7:38 AM, wool said:

Hi,

- wool

Hi, I have a DS412+ which doesn't turn on. There is no life at all, as pressing the ON button makes nothing: no LEDs, no fan, nothing. The power supply is fine, just in case I tried with another one and the result is the same. I noticed that taking away this module, at least both blue LEDs around the ON button do light on (even if slightly). When I connected the flash module to the PC, it was not recognized (USB device not recognized) so I'm guessing the problem could be this module. I have no backup of it, so I would need an image of it or something similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:31 AM, mc4ren said:

I have no backup of it, so I would need an image of it or something similar.

a image would contain the serial number of the unit so most people might not donate there image

not sure if a similar image would help, synology uses protections like checking for hardware devices that would be present in a original unit

beside this you would need to tweak usb flash drive firmware to have a new/different vid/pid (F400/F400) - not a task thats done by everyone in a few minutes

as it is a intel atom d2700 cpu (64bit) you can try to boot up a 3615 image from a normal usb, maybe start with loader 1.02b (does csm/legacy and uefi) and if that works try loader 1.03b (only csm/legacy), just to see if it boots up and shown in network you dont need to change anything in the loader, just put it on a usb flash drive and boot it up to see if it works or not (for installing you would need to follow the usual guides here and change the vid/pid in the grub.cfg to the values of the used usb flash drive)

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

a image would contain the serial number of the unit so most people might not donate there image

not sure if a similar image would help, synology uses protections like checking for hardware devices that would be present in a original unit

beside this you would need to tweak usb flash drive firmware to have a new/different vid/pid (F400/F400) - not a task thats done by everyone in a few minutes

as it is a intel atom d2700 cpu (64bit) you can try to boot up a 3615 image from a normal usb, maybe start with loader 1.02b (does csm/legacy and uefi) and if that works try loader 1.03b (only csm/legacy), just to see if it boots up and shown in network you dont need to change anything in the loader, just put it on a usb flash drive and boot it up to see if it works or not (for installing you would need to follow the usual guides here and change the vid/pid in the grub.cfg to the values of the used usb flash drive)

Thank you IG-88. I've found two versions for 3615 and 1.02b loader; one with MBR partiton, the other one without. Which one should I try?

Edited by mc4ren
correction: tow -> two

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the one without mbr it the standard version, so start with this one

Which USB port should I use? Front? Rear? Or maybe I should do a special connector and try to connect it in place of the flash module?

Edited by mc4ren

10 hours ago, mc4ren said:

Which USB port should I use? Front? Rear? Or maybe I should do a special connector and try to connect it in place of the flash module?

just try one, i dont expect that they will check what port is used, having to use the internal port of the flash module might be worst case

btw. the layout of the usb onboard header seems to be the usual as used for any pc system board, so to connect a usb flash drive to it you could use a off the shelf standard usb bracket witch two usb connectors connection to the 10 pin header (usually only 9 pins present)

Well some developments... I wouldn't say really advances.

I flashed a USB with that image, but there was no change at all.

So I took strong decisions. I used a DC power supply and I could see that there was some sort of short circuit in the board, because when I turned it on, the power supply would begin making noises. So I increased the voltage up to some 18V and a capacitor exploded. The funny thing is that without that capacitor, at least the unit is showing some kind of life. The blue ligth is ON for about 5 seconds, then it shuts down. But there is no HDD lights, no fan turning.

Strange thing is that from time to time, the unit turns on by itself and even the fans turn on, the blue light flashes for about 5 times and the everything shuts down again.

Close to the burnt capacitor there is a similar circuit portion, which has a 10 uF capacitor (I took it off, and measured it).

I had some SMD capacitors, and I have soldered a 10 uF capacitor in the place of the burnt one. The result is that there is some short circuit again.

So clearly there is a short circuit, but my skills are not good enough to find it.

IMG_20200904_192239.jpg

IMG_20200904_192230.jpg

15 hours ago, mc4ren said:

Well some developments... I wouldn't say really advances.

I flashed a USB with that image, but there was no change at all.

then my conclusion would be that the bios might be locked to boot only from a f400/f400 usb device

15 hours ago, mc4ren said:

So I took strong decisions. I used a DC power supply and I could see that there was some sort of short circuit in the board, because when I turned it on, the power supply would begin making noises. So I increased the voltage

where did you connect it? usually the voltage is not just single one on a system board?

or does this unit uses a external psu with 12V?

the why increasing it to 18V?

anyway i guess i cant be of any help after that

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

where did you connect it? usually the voltage is not just single one on a system board?

or does this unit uses a external psu with 12V?

the why increasing it to 18V?

anyway i guess i cant be of any help after that

I connected it to two points in the PCB. The external power supply is only 12Vdc, it's easy.

I increased to 18V because I had nothing to loose; as the power supply was limiting the current, I thought maybe going a bit over with the voltage I would see something.

You've been of great help. If I have some kind of advances I'll let you know.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:05 AM, iguy0 said:

Hi All,

Would any one be kind to share any backups of this module? Please PM

Thank You

I will be happy to share  my backup of my DS1511+ until somebody here can explain/help me to clean out my Serial number and mac adress from my backup.
So far I was not able to get this out..

• 1 year later...

Hallo

to produce a Clone you can use for best the tool  HDDRawCopy1.10Portable.exe

I checked it and it works. Tested with DS916+

Read original Source Modul to a Image file .

Then you can edit the Mac and Serial by Hex Editor

after that install the Target Module to the Adapter Cable ( make for safety a Backup too ) , then use windows Disk Part to delete the 2 Partitions on the Module.( if you do not delete  the module can not be written sometimes )

And final write the Image with Raw Copy to the Target Modul.

to find the Position of the Serial and MAc search in HEX for 00 11 32

But you have a Problem if you dont have a Dump of the original MAC and Serial.

You can read them on the Label  but the checksums are not Printed there.

For the MAC Checksum its the SUM of all Hex Values - Checksum is the last 2 Digits

for example use exel  :

all 6  Hex of Mac -->  hex to Dezimal    =HEXINDEZ   

then sum the 6 decimal Values  -

them the  sum of Dez to HEX   =DEZINHEX 

and use last 2 Digits as Checksum

Serials  : there exist 2 Different forms  you see them in the ANSI the new Models have a 13 Letter

to calculate the 13 Letter  Checksum:

every of the 13  Letter ->  Dezimal to Hex  =DEZINHEX        !!! only use BIG LETTERS  !!!

then you have 13 Hex Values

every 13 Hex Values to Dezimal =HEXINDEZ 

and the the Sum off all 13 Dezimal is  your Checksum

Edited by TN-Notebooks
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, IG-88 said:

just try one, i dont expect that they will check what port is used, having to use the internal port of the flash module might be worst case

btw. the layout of the usb onboard header seems to be the usual as used for any pc system board, so to connect a usb flash drive to it you could use a off the shelf standard usb bracket witch two usb connectors connection to the 10 pin header (usually only 9 pins present)

Hi IG,

I've tried it, the proportions of the 10-pin connector on such cables are too large to fit. Thanks anyway, the help here has helped me to run the DS412+ as DS713+ with DSM7 today.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, DSfuchs said:

Hi IG,

I've tried it, the proportions of the 10-pin connector on such cables are too large to fit. Thanks anyway, the help here has helped me to run the DS412+ as DS713+ with DSM7 today.

I can confirm that the DiskStation also simply boots from the USB front socket if the media shows the identifier 0xF400 for manufacturer and product.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, FlorisVN said:

I will be happy to share  my backup of my DS1511+ until somebody here can explain/help me to clean out my Serial number and mac adress from my backup.
So far I was not able to get this out..

You can just open the file with e.g. 7z. Also open the 2nd file in it (it is the data of partition no. 2). There the file vender is to be removed for sharing and then to be saved via exit.
In addition, you can also find a tool via the Internet search with which you can edit the vender file/set example values.

5 minutes ago, DSfuchs said:

You can just open the file with e.g. 7z. Also open the 2nd file in it (it is the data of partition no. 2). There the file vender is to be removed for sharing and then to be saved via exit.
In addition, you can also find a tool via the Internet search with which you can edit the vender file/set example values.

The image can also be provided virtually for editing with the OSFmount tool.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:38 AM, wool said:

Hi,

- wool

Happy Modding, my DS412+ is now prepared as RS814+ for DSM 8

Thanks for your pinout!

• Thanks 1