XPEnology Community

slow transfer speeds

Canishu

Question

5 answers to this question

Can you post a bit more information about your hardware spec, drives setup, networking and the target system, that will help forum members give advice

this is a server I've got from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322978590993

I3 3220, 8gb DDR3 ram, a raid card, 4 HDD of 2TB in raid 5 (card cannot do raid 6) 

raid is set up from raid card and not from  DSM.

I've followed this tutorial

I've installed DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod.

yesterday I had installed on it  freenas11 and tested transfer and got a constantly 80MB/s transfer (actually  113MB/s when sending the data from my PC's SSD hard) of the exact same 7.5 GB file.

just done another test:  transferring FROM  nas to my PC speed is fine +90 MB/s. transferring TO  the nas same thing as before. first 1.5 GB fine than speed drops to below 15MB/s.

I'll try tomorrow to play with the RAID array to see if it makes any difference.

That looks like a good spec overall.

Some comments/thoughts

1) Can you post some information on the network adapter and raid card brands - there are some devices that have better drivers/modules in forum members enhanced ramdisks

2) You may be better to set the raid card to jbod/IT mode and allow DSM to manage the raid  - that gives you better options if the raid card fails and you will probably get better smart reporting. I'd also think you are adding to disk latency by having two raid layers (hardware and software), which you wont have in freenas.

3) Check the SMB versions in DSM and try file transfer with different minimum/maximum versions

4) Disable file protocols that you dont need, in DSM

5) Disable raid card caching if there is one

6) Check Resource Manager and see whats happening to the raid/volume/disk performance  and network traffic during a transfer. Also check the processes to see if there is a sudden change in the network disk drivers use

7) Try some transfers by 'uploading' to File Manager/Web interface and also by FTP or NFS and compare the performance to SMB

That looks like a good spec overall.

Some comments/thoughts

1) Can you post some information on the network adapter and raid card brands - there are some devices that have better drivers/modules in forum members enhanced ramdisks

2) You may be better to set the raid card to jbod/IT mode and allow DSM to manage the raid  - that gives you better options if the raid card fails and you will probably get better smart reporting. I'd also think you are adding to disk latency by having two raid layers (hardware and software), which you wont have in freenas.

3) Check the SMB versions in DSM and try file transfer with different minimum/maximum versions

4) Disable file protocols that you dont need, in DSM

5) Disable raid card caching if there is one

6) Check Resource Manager and see whats happening to the raid/volume/disk performance  and network traffic during a transfer. Also check the processes to see if there is a sudden change in the network disk drivers use

7) Try some transfers by 'uploading' to File Manager/Web interface and also by FTP or NFS and compare the performance to SMB

I've found one 250GB HDD in one of my draws and poped that one in, directly on the motherboard.

set it up in DSM and transfer above 90MB/s up and down.

I've modified the raid to pair 2 drives and make 2 groups and made a raid 10. transfer speeds again FINE.

I've wanted to try your point 2  but my lack of knowledge could not find how to set it up like that.