XPEnology Community

Hi,

I've got a similar problem to the question marked as Xpenology installation loop but I did't get mine resolved.  Essentially my installation ends after the DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat file installs and the timer runs out. I'm left with DiskStation login:  on the Xpenology machine and the timer simply goes to Zero.  

I'm trying out XPEnology on an old HP Pavilion DV6 with a  2.5" hard drive first before I buy new hardware.  I'm keeping things simple and just concentrating on getting it installed (i.e not doing any MAC address changes or registering details on synology - just VID and PID)

The steps I took so far are : I copied the XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1.img file over to the USB stick but couldn't get access to the VID & PID until I tried an install (solid .img file). I was getting errors (corrupted file) when I tried to install the .pat but could access syslinux.cfg and change the two values to VID_0781 and PID_5572:

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT xpenology
MENU TITLE XPEnoboot 5.2-5967.1

LABEL xpenology
       MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5967
       KERNEL /zImage
       APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0781 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

LABEL debug
       MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5967 Debug
       KERNEL /zImage
       APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0781 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 debug=1

LABEL install
       MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5967 Install/Upgrade
       KERNEL /zImage
       APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0781 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305 upgrade=5.2-5967

The pat file I am using is the following:

DSM_DS3615xs_8451.pat

I got corrupt messages earlier and other messages saying that the version had to be over a certain edition.  I ended up downloading the .pat file for Synology.  I don't know if they match with the boot loader XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5967.1.img

Where do you think I am going wrong ? Once the .pat file installed my DV6 reboots about twice choosing the first option in the blue boot up menu by default.   The Web Assistant sayings FAILED TO CONNECT after the timer runs out and to search manually.  Once i do that I find it and I get Status recoverable.  It just repeats the entire process all over again. -  It starts the count down timer, restarts the DV6 - installs files and sits at the DiskStation Login .

Synology Web Assistant.png

If I have read your post and logs correctly I think you have a 'mismatch' between boot loaders and dsm and also the configuration process for the different boot loaders

the xpe5.2-5967.1 boot loader/dsm5.2-5967 pat  does not need vid/pid amended. This pair of files will give you a dsm5.2 installation

the .8451 pat file is for a xpe6.0.2 loader - you will need to edit vid/pid

the  .15047 pat file is for the xpe6.1b loader - ditto vid/pid

using a 5.2 loader and 6.x dsm pat file is likely your issue

you may find it best to delete all partitions on your test hdd to start with a clean build, and take a read of the tutorials again to be clear of the steps

personally I would start with a 5.2 install, to get familiar with the process and test your hardware, then move to a 6.1 install/test. Be careful to ensure you use the matching loader/dsm pat file

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

If I have read your post and logs correctly I think you have a 'mismatch' between boot loaders and dsm and also the configuration process for the different boot loaders

the xpe5.2-5967.1 boot loader/dsm5.2-5967 pat  does not need vid/pid amended. This pair of files will give you a dsm5.2 installation

the .8451 pat file is for a xpe6.0.2 loader - you will need to edit vid/pid

the  .15047 pat file is for the xpe6.1b loader - ditto vid/pid

using a 5.2 loader and 6.x dsm pat file is likely your issue

you may find it best to delete all partitions on your test hdd to start with a clean build, and take a read of the tutorials again to be clear of the steps

personally I would start with a 5.2 install, to get familiar with the process and test your hardware, then move to a 6.1 install/test. Be careful to ensure you use the matching loader/dsm pat file

Hi sbv3000,

Thanks for replying, your advice worked!  I think the problem was that I had two different versions mixed up. 

I went back to version 5 and tried skipping formatting the hard drive bit but same result as before, the timer ran out and nothing happened.  I think it needs a fresh clean HD. I took the HD into Windows as an external HD and done a quick format via disk manager and it worked.  Many thanks ! !