XPEnology Community

Quickconnect, version XPE and supervisor?

JanHoedt

Hi,

I  love Synology, got an DS414, but might go to ds918+ (for vmm) or run xpe on a HP Microserver gen 8 or 10 (virtual, on esxi or hyper v to easen the updates). So first I m about to test XPE on a spare hp 8550 laptop via hyper v.

There is only one XPE version, right? 

What held me from running XPE is quickconnect. What is the status there?  Got an ds210 on which I don't use quickconnect, can I use that Mac to configure on XPENology? 

Then I d like to create my XPE bootdisk from .pat myself, can I do that? 

Thanks for your input, love your project! 

J

Edited by JanHoedt

There are several different loaders depending on which version of DSM you wish to run, the most up to date is jun's 1.02b loader for 6.1.4

Use of quickconnect on xpenology is an abuse of Synologys services & should not be used. There are plenty of free alternatives & you say you have 2 genuine Synology servers which can use quickconnect anyway.

Thanks! I do know ddns and have it configured already. However, I now have to open a firewall for every port and tell users to connect on that specific port, f.e. myddns.com:5000 for synology main access etc?
Plus a main concern is that direct access is pretty risky whereas quickconnect goes via servers of Synology, right?

On 1/11/2018 at 3:46 AM, JanHoedt said:

Thanks! I do know ddns and have it configured already. However, I now have to open a firewall for every port and tell users to connect on that specific port, f.e. myddns.com:5000 for synology main access etc?
Plus a main concern is that direct access is pretty risky whereas quickconnect goes via servers of Synology, right?

At least if gives you more control on what is opened and what is closed. A port is needed yes but I think that is also the case if you use other services other than the GUI access on Quickconnect. 

Quite the opposite. In my opinion, not going through Synology relay servers improves security and speeds as there are less nodes/relays and you are establishing a more direct connection to your box. So less possibilities of interference. I never trust a company (no matter how big or powerful they are - Apple, Microsoft etc) to secure my data. Speed wise, I have experienced extreme slowness with Synology's Quickconnect feature (on a real Synology box) under a double NAT internet connection. Not great. Your box security is something that is your responsibility and should never be left to others to deal with. Having all proper settings configured in DSM (password strength, firewall rules, DDOS attack prevention etc etc etc) is what will prevent unauthorised access and will shield you against outside intrusions. Certainly not Quickconnect. If you are still paranoid about data transmission then simply download the VPN server package and use that to connect to your Box from outside of your local network. That will create a virtual tunnel where virtually no one can know what flows in an out of the box. Well, the NSA could always use their dirty tricks but before they do that you would need to be on their radar.

• Polanskiman changed the title to Quickconnect, version XPE and supervisor?