XPEnology Community

DS3617xs to QNAP Virtualization Station 3

elitef

Hello All,

I am really hoping that someone might be able to help me out. I know that the JUN loader is not compatible with QNAP VS3, but I read in a different thread that if you install it on VM Workstation 12 Pro, export it to OVF and then import it into QNAP VS3, that it works, but unfortunately I have not been able to get it working.

The following are the steps that I've taken:

Install DS3617xs DSM on VM Workstation 12 Pro on my Windows 10 machine using the following video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si9Y1HNhYrI

I followed all the steps down packed with the exception of installing 6.1.4 instead of 6.1 (I did try 6.1 too and it did not work either on the QNAP VS3)

Once installation was completed I then went in to create a BASIC RAID and then a Volume of 5GB (small but just as a test)

Once all was done, I shut down the DSM and went into File > Export to OVF and saved the file to my desktop.

I then went to the QNAP VS3 > Import > Selected the OVF file. I was then prompted to select the two VMDK files which I've done and selected which folder on the QNAP I wanted it installed/imported under. The import went through successfully, but when I boot up the VM in VS3, Synology Assistant finds the system, but without an installed copy of DSM and it states "No Hard Disk Found on DS3617xs"

Please let me know if anyone knows of a solution for this issue. I'm sure it's a simple setting but I cannot seem to get it to work after multiple attempts all with different types of setting configs.

I used the same video but I use DS3615xs

I just tried it again but then with VMWare Workstation 14 and that doesn't work any more.

I installed VMWare Workstation 12 and tried again and then export to OVA

(VMware workstation saves default to ovf so rename file to ova it will create one file)

In VMware when create VM I remove all drives -- USB -- CDRom -- Floppy

Then add ONLY existing Synoboot.vmdk and change it to IDE.

I do not start the VM but Export it then to OVA and then import it to QNAP.

I add the second disk in QNAP Virtualization Station as SATA disk and Cache Mode Writeback.

(Leave imported disk at IDE)

Then start the machine and use http://find.synology.com/# and you can connect to the new Xpenology

Edited by RTVRTV