XPEnology Community

HW Transcoding Loader Hardware i7 3770T

m4rl0ne

Hello,

what would be necessary to get the DS916+ image on these components running?

Intel Core i7 3770T

Asus P8H77-I Mainboard

Realtek RTL8111F NIC

I tried booting it stock, tried it with the ramdisk. Both of these methods don't work, the nas does not show up in the network. Why won't it boot? Is there any way I can get the hardware transcoding feature enabled? Are there any kernel modules available for my hardware?

Thx in adv.

Marlon

• 1 month later...

You have to install Driver extension for your network adapter. You can download the extension here. Your Mainboard and CPU should work fine. As mentioned in this post you might get problems with the DS916+ image because your CPU is 4 years older and might don't support all instructions.

Via serial Port you can check if its loading all drivers or if you getting some other errors. I'm not quite sure but i think you also need a valid serial number for hardware transcoding.

If you have installed the network extension and still can't find/boot it try the DS3615xs image.

Edited by Gilbert17

• 6 months later...

If you are refering to Plex - HW video transcoding - Yes, it works under DS3615xs 6.2 Image

- You have to manually install the x64 version Plex server which you can download Plex website - you dont need a Plex Pass

- have Intel QS configured under Plex server and I can get 2 x 1080p encodes or 3 x 720p encodes on medium quality before things start to buffer

- performance is reduced by 50% if the video source is HEVC / H.265

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 7:22 AM, Benoire said:

So you don't need a valid synology serial number to use plex hw transcoding if the cpu is supported? 

I dont know if you need a valid synology serial for Plex HW to work, I have a serial (HOW DO YOU KNOW/CHECK IF IS A VALID S/N?) entered in my config along MAC addresses and USB UID PID.

(I used this URL to generate my synology serials - I have create 3 serials one for each model incase I need to switch images) https://xpenogen.github.io/serial_generator/index.html

I cannot run DS916+ as my CPU is too old 3rd Gen Intel i7, the kernel is 4.4x on DS916+ DSM 6.2 images which requires at least 4th Gen Intel CPUs.

DS3615/DS3617 images are running kernel 3.1x so you can use older hardware, DS3615 is closer to my hardware, if I had Xeon with ECC RAM I would probably run DS3617 image.

Also DS3615/DS3617 images are 12 bays -

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 5:59 PM, toker said:

If you are refering to Plex - HW video transcoding - Yes, it works under DS3615xs 6.2 Image

- You have to manually install the x64 version Plex server which you can download Plex website - you dont need a Plex Pass

- have Intel QS configured under Plex server and I can get 2 x 1080p encodes or 3 x 720p encodes on medium quality before things start to buffer

- performance is reduced by 50% if the video source is HEVC / H.265

I don't get it. How do you get the option to show up? I manually installed the x64 version of plex and am running DS3615xs 6.2 on Sandy Bridge. But the option doesn't show up in Plex Sever

AFAIK if you are not running DS916 or DS918, there will not be Linux driver support for the Intel GPU.  If the GPU is detected by Linux, you should see /dev/dri.

Video Station requires a serial number, and Plex specifically requires Plex Pass for hardware acceleration to be available.

Lastly, all Intel GPU silicon is not equal.  There have been improvements with each processor family update, and the kernel driver and media software may have dependencies on specific features only available in later processors.

Bottom line, a lot of things have to line up for hw transcoding to work.

Edited by flyride

On 12/29/2018 at 7:13 AM, bearcat said:

@a575606 In Plex, go to Settings, Transcoder, select advanced and see what you find :-)

@bearcat Ya, already tried that and no luck. 

On 12/29/2018 at 7:22 AM, flyride said:

AFAIK if you are not running DS916 or DS918, there will not be Linux driver support for the Intel GPU.  If the GPU is detected by Linux, you should see /dev/dri.

Video Station requires a serial number, and Plex specifically requires Plex Pass for hardware acceleration to be available.

Lastly, all Intel GPU silicon is not equal.  There have been improvements with each processor family update, and the kernel driver and media software may have dependencies on specific features only available in later processors.

Bottom line, a lot of things have to line up for hw transcoding to work.

@flyride Ok, that's unfortunate but I don't see /dev/dri so I guess you're right. Seems strange there's no way to port the driver from the DS918 img though. Anyway I don't have plex pass so I can't know for sure, but there's a lot of other people saying they got it to work on DS3615xs without plex pass.... so who knows. Not the end of the world as I'm not doing multiple streams of transcoding. Just would be nice to have. 

With my i5-8600k and plex in docker on DS3615xs and DSM 6.2.1 I can not activate hardware transcoding, despite my plex pass ...

I will have to spend on DS918? What is the difference between ds918 and ds3615?

Edited by EVOTk

23 hours ago, EVOTk said:

With my i5-8600k and plex in docker on DS3615xs and DSM 6.2.1 I can not activate hardware transcoding, despite my plex pass ...

I will have to spend on DS918? What is the difference between ds918 and ds3615?

Did you map your iGPU so Docker can access it?

I found this post in the Plex forum where they also struggled to get hardware acceleartion working in docker. Plex Forum

There you find how to do it.

Edited by Gilbert17

On 1/3/2019 at 7:14 PM, toker said:

I have no Plex-Pass (see screenshots) 

Intel QS is enabled and working under 1.03b DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 (DS3615xs) on i7-3770S (Sandy Bridge)

Are you sure you have a working HW-accelerated transcoding without a PlexPass?

According to PlexHardware-accelerated streaming is a premium feature and requires an active Plex Passsubscription

That page will also tell you how to check if its working.

On this page, you will find a spreadsheet, showing what Plex supports on various NAS'es, and even here they "claim" that the PlexPass is needed.

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I have a Synology DS 1513+ I started using Plex, got a plex pass and realized my NAS is too weak to transcode etc etc...

So, only today (shame) I found Xpenology. I decided to build a new NAS with it and I started studying.

Unluckily the Hardware acceleration issue is not easy to understand for me, because there are not many posts.

So I am writing asking for suggestions on what to buy to be sure the HW will work

I found this interesting posts in PLEX with a list of NAS and the capability to transcode, with or without HW ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273 ) 
I see that there is also an intersting page about the HW acceleration in PLEX https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Basically they ask for a 5th-gen Broadwell or newer (Intel, as AMD doesn't support QVS).

Should I get a Celeron J3455 as the DS918+ or any CPU from 5th gen or newer would be good?

Is there a super compatible Itx MB to buy? I saw many here bought the Asrock H370m (but the J3455 doesn't fit) 

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot for your reply

SO the H370m is considered the best mother board and as CPU I could get any 8th 9th gen. I will CHoose 918+ and work out all the SN things I was reading about and have a good chance to have HW acceleration to work?

thanks again

1 час назад, simone сказал:

Thanks a lot for your reply

SO the H370m is considered the best mother board and as CPU I could get any 8th 9th gen. I will CHoose 918+ and work out all the SN things I was reading about and have a good chance to have HW acceleration to work?

I don't think that H370m is the best mb, just one of the possible.

The guys wrote that the 9th generation is not working.

Yes, if you have valid SN and MAC, hw transcoding should work.