XPEnology Community

ASRock J3455-ITX

Hostilian

OK.. I've ordered an ASRock J3455-ITX board with a new ITX case and PSU (already have 4GB of RAM and a spare dual port Intel NIC lying around).

Plan is for it to replace my always-on 2 bay Syno (more drives required)..

I'll let you know if I can get it working with the loader. For an outlay of less than £150, it's a pretty damn good deal..

Price was obviously helped by the fact I had some spare RAM lying around, but hey ho!!  :)

OK, build went fine - with the exception of noticing that the board only has PCIe x1 (so my x4 NIC isn't much use). Momentary lapse of concentration - but I don't need LACP or anything with this box, so no biggie..  ;)

The onboard NIC was detected and is working fine with the loader..

The board is the ASRock J3455-ITX board (the one with 4 sata ports)..

My 2x disks have migrated successfully and I'm loading 6.1.4 update 5.

When I get a minute I'll add my other disks and test performance over the NIC..

So far so good!  :)

#H

Aye, no notch though...  :)
I have been known to shave the little bit of plastic off the end of the slot - in order to get them to fit..  Worked fine when I tried it, it was a while ago though....  Think that was an x8 in a x4 slot (was Dell weirdness - can't remember)..

....Maybe not for a new board just yet though!  ;)

Found a PCIe x1 single NIC card, which works fine too..

I've now got 3x 3.5 inch disks and an MSata SSD in it and it uses 44 watts (according to my meter)..

It doesn't hibernate due to Surveillance Station, so that's in an active state...

I'm sure I can get that down slightly (as at least one of the drives is 7200rpm)..

It's MUCH faster than my Syno DS216j - well, it has got 2 extra cores and over 3 GB more RAM - and is actually usable with surveillance station (monitoring via smartphone).

Nice work with the loader - again!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, Hostilian said:

Found a PCIe x1 single NIC card, which works fine too..

I've now got 3x 3.5 inch disks and an MSata SSD in it and it uses 44 watts (according to my meter)..

It doesn't hibernate due to Surveillance Station, so that's in an active state...

I'm sure I can get that down slightly (as at least one of the drives is 7200rpm)..

It's MUCH faster than my Syno DS216j - well, it has got 2 extra cores and over 3 GB more RAM - and is actually usable with surveillance station (monitoring via smartphone).

Nice work with the loader - again!  :)

Can you please tell me if you can get standby and then being able to wake up the NAS by WOL with this motherboard?

4 hours ago, Cr4z33 said:

Then aren't you worried about your hard drives lifetime by having the NAS on 24/7? :?

Although I used WOL on my previous Synology DS414 I kept getting disk errors from time to time.

Not really.. This new NAS is for monitoring security cameras - not much use if it's not switched on!  ;)

The security camera disks are old drives, so can die when they want (only 500GB each).

The other drive should spin down when not used (and I have an SSD in there too).

Not really.. This new NAS is for monitoring security cameras - not much use if it's not switched on!  [emoji6]
The security camera disks are old drives, so can die when they want (only 500GB each).
The other drive should spin down when not used (and I have an SSD in there too).
Hmm I was going to use it for the same thing.

I might consider adding an old hard drive for that.