XPEnology Community

Loader for Kaby Lake

Franzl

2 hours ago, Franzl said:

Hello

i am new to this forum and Xpenology. I build up a System using Intel Pentium G4600 CPU (Kaby Lake) on Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H270N-WiFi .

Which is right BootLoader for me and does it fully support these CPU ?  Thanks for your help.

All the loaders should 'work' with this cpu and mobo, I would recommend the 3615 image as there are more forum members using that image so better chance of support if you have any issues. The intel nics and sata should work ok with the default image, but you might need to play around with the mobo bios settings for sata/m2 sata connectors to see how DSM shows drives connected. 

still not clear which loader i need:

a) want to use link aggregation as mobo has 2 LAN (alredy works with TL-SG2008 switch) -> do i need 2 Serial numbers as i have 2 Mac adresses ?

b) want to use kaby lake transcoding engine in Pentium G4600 -> is 3615 image supporting that (anywhere i red some different notes) or is it better to go for 918 loader ?

c) Do i need to register @Synology with both Mac Adresses to use Video station transcoding ?

d) whats about linux kernel version (3.x or 4.x) : is one of both better for using transcoding or kaby lake ?

4 hours ago, Franzl said:

still not clear which loader i need:

a) want to use link aggregation as mobo has 2 LAN (alredy works with TL-SG2008 switch) -> do i need 2 Serial numbers as i have 2 Mac adresses ?

The serial number is unrelated to the network. The serial number is simply a serial number like there is in any Synology Box. One is all that you need.

As for the loader it is simply a matter of knowing what hardware you have and what your needs are. Simply go to Synology's website, look at the specs of each of the 3 models (DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+) and then select the loader according to what you have/need.

b) want to use kaby lake transcoding engine in Pentium G4600 -> is 3615 image supporting that (anywhere i red some different notes) or is it better to go for 918 loader ?

There is no 918 loader. There are only 3 available loader DS3615xs, DS3617xs and DS916+

c) Do i need to register @Synology with both Mac Adresses to use Video station transcoding ?

No. It will not work. Registering with Synology with a fake serial number will do no good to the community. You can use other third party video packages such as Plex for example.

d) whats about linux kernel version (3.x or 4.x) : is one of both better for using transcoding or kaby lake ?

You might want to read this: 

sorry , i am not an expert and already read what you have linked but not clear if DS3615xs (as you recommend) is right fo me. I want an stable software for my usecases and i am not able to understand all the topics. Also i don't like to install all my Photos , Movies again if i have to move later.

So please help me

What i found:

CPU from DS3615XS is quite older than my one. I bought that CPU because is want to use all the new features -> for all the differences i like to know if it works

Example: is DS3615XS able to work with H256 10bit ?

cpu.thumb.PNG.9c7028a7df8fae2443ba27eac97d642f.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

again i have questions for Kaby Lake and transcoding:

using XPENOLOGY 916 loader and install i see Linux 3.10 and braswell_916+

uname.PNG.077f7ab1d9c8ca0ffbab8f52b93453f2.PNG

Synology DS918+ is nearest to my scenario using Linux 4.4 and Apollo Lake

http://www.synology-forum.de/showthread.html?88172-DS218-DS718-und-DS918-veröffentlicht/page6

Using 916 loader i came to a good result (many thanks to all developers) . All features are running but only minimal support for transcoding.

codec_2.PNG.d47dc8451cfd88ced6d27ab7e1c83470.PNG

But my CPU has more capabilities !!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any change to reach same status as DS918 on XPENOLOGY (Linux 4.4 , Full Apollo Lake support) ?

Thanks for your help

9 hours ago, Franzl said:

again i have questions for Kaby Lake and transcoding:

using XPENOLOGY 916 loader and install i see Linux 3.10 and braswell_916+

uname.PNG.077f7ab1d9c8ca0ffbab8f52b93453f2.PNG

Synology DS918+ is nearest to my scenario using Linux 4.4 and Apollo Lake

http://www.synology-forum.de/showthread.html?88172-DS218-DS718-und-DS918-veröffentlicht/page6

Using 916 loader i came to a good result (many thanks to all developers) . All features are running but only minimal support for transcoding.

codec_2.PNG.d47dc8451cfd88ced6d27ab7e1c83470.PNG

But my CPU has more capabilities !!!!!!!!!!!

Is there any change to reach same status as DS918 on XPENOLOGY (Linux 4.4 , Full Apollo Lake support) ?

Thanks for your help

That in my opinion is due to Serial Number invalidity.

33 minutes ago, Franzl said:

@Polanskiman: sorry fo rmy persistenty but HW-Transcoding is most important feature for me and i still have no solution.

Will there be a loader for DS918+  ?

I think I already answered that question in a way above.

I am not the developper of the loader so I can't answer that question definitively. But since you ask me I would say no unless the developper suddenly changes his mind or that a new developper comes up with a loader for DS918+. However I think DS916+ already does hardware transcoding so not sure why you would want DS918+.

Each loader that comes out means maintaining that loader, adding and compiling modules, support for that loader etc etc.

i am ok with 916 loader if it works but using this i still only got 3 codecs activated. My cpu has 14 !

i was asking you as you are the only who answeres my questions here (many thanks for that)

I read a lot and found many indicators looking like DS918+ (4.4 Linux, Instructionset extensions SSE4.1/4.2 , Kaby lake support)

What is future of XPENOLOGY ? Will there be a support for Kaby lake and latest features ?

7 hours ago, Franzl said:

i am ok with 916 loader if it works but using this i still only got 3 codecs activated. My cpu has 14 !

i was asking you as you are the only who answeres my questions here (many thanks for that)

I read a lot and found many indicators looking like DS918+ (4.4 Linux, Instructionset extensions SSE4.1/4.2 , Kaby lake support)

What is future of XPENOLOGY ? Will there be a support for Kaby lake and latest features ?

I think @polankisman has answered both of these questions along with the FAQ recommendation

If you are 'desperate' for the full transcoding features then either invest in a real DS918+ or maybe look at a similar 'freeware NAS' system that might use the same kernel and features - not sure but Open Media Vault may use the 4 kernel?