XPEnology Community

XPenology with DSM 6.2 beta on Gen10/Gen8/etc

peking

Hey everyone,

Currently playing on an N40L, using Jun's loader 1.02b, and succeeded to use the latest DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 4.

However, i'll replace both my N40L and my genuine DS215J with an HP microserver gen10 next week, and i'm planning to take the latest possible DSM.

Updating DSM 6.1.4-15217 Update 4 to DSM_DS3615xs_6.2_23511 or DSM_DS3615xs_6.2-22259 results in failing DSM.

I'm not sure if Jun or anyone else is working on this but i wish and really hope it :)

So basically I'm looking for a tutorial/guide on how to install DSM 6.2 beta (yet) on Hp Microserver (gen10).

Alternatively i wish to understand how to do some logging / data collection of the loader to help the guys make a working loader for DSM6.2.

Any suggestion is welcome!

R/Mark

(And thanks goes for Synology for making such a shit product (DS215J) with a great software (DSM) and with the worst customer support who can only say we are sorry for the inconvenience but not helping at all. This really helped me a lot to decide and build a XPEnology lately.)

Just found the other topic as well, but not updated in the past 2 months.

Edited by peking

There isn't any guide to do that simply because DSM 6.2 will not work with the current loader. The kernel is different. The loader will need to be updated or a new one will need to be created. Do not go beyond DSM 6.1.x with the current loader.

DSM 6.2 is also in beta state so honestly not the greatest thing to use as a production OS. The only way to use DSM 6.2 on an XPEnology so far was to virtualise it with VMM when VMM was still in beta. You will need a license now if you wish to use VMM.

Hey Polanskiman,

Thanks for the reply, i somewhat assumed it, but gave a try hence i have no possibility (knowledge) to debug.

I guess we will know if there will be a loader applicable for the upcoming DSM revision, until then i'll be waiting for it gently.

Cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2017 at 8:46 PM, Polanskiman said:

There isn't any guide to do that simply because DSM 6.2 will not work with the current loader. The kernel is different. The loader will need to be updated or a new one will need to be created. Do not go beyond DSM 6.1.x with the current loader.

DSM 6.2 is also in beta state so honestly not the greatest thing to use as a production OS. The only way to use DSM 6.2 on an XPEnology so far was to virtualise it with VMM when VMM was still in beta. You will need a license now if you wish to use VMM.

Hi,

Now that Synology DSM 6.2.x is out of beta how long before we get support for it? I am new to XPEnology so I am just trying to get a handle on time frame...

Thank you

1 hour ago, itGeeks said:

Hi,

Now that Synology DSM 6.2.x is out of beta how long before we get support for it? I am new to XPEnology so I am just trying to get a handle on time frame...

Thank you

As far as I'm aware 6.2 is still in beta. In terms of xpenology a new loader will be required as 6.2 uses a new kernel for which the source code will need to be released.

15 hours ago, itGeeks said:

Hi,

Thank you

There is no need to double post. I have deleted one of your posts in another topic where you were asking the same question. And as said above, DSM 6.2 is still in Beta.

17 minutes ago, itGeeks said:

It seems you are both correct. Sorry about that and the double post. In general how long does it take after a new version of DSM before we can install it?

Thanks to both of you for taking the time..

Absolutely no timeframe available. It all depends how long it takes for a developper to come up with a working loader. In general critical updates do not need a rework of the loader but major updates such as DSM 5.2 > DSM 6 and then from DSM 6 > 6.2 might need one.

46 minutes ago, itGeeks said:

Thanks for the quick response. So I am a bit confused, Why does jun loader say it's for 6.x.x if I can't upgrade to 6.2.x? It seems to me that the loader description should say 6.1.x so we don't hose our servers?? I am just trying to understand all this as I am a new user..

It depends on whether or not the kernel version changes, at present jun's loader works with DSM 6 through to 6.1. When upgrading it is always best to wait for an announcement on here from someone like Jun saying that it is ok to upgrade.