XPEnology Community

Volume 1 Degraded - Unused Disk

emerysteele

Question

I have a XPEnology server with 3x 2TB drives. I had an error message saying that one disk was failing.

I powered off the server, & put the drives in my Windows computer to run SMART to see which one was failing so I could send it back for warranty replacement.

Once I determined what drive (disk 1) was failing, I put the other two back into the server & turned it on to create a backup of important files. But I notice some of my data seems to be corrupt, as some videos do not playback. And disk 3 shows a "System Partition Failure" error.

So I decided to put the failing drive back in, in hopes of being able to recover data. But now the failing drive is showing as unused with a "System Partition Failure" error also. If I run the file system check, will this allow me to recover the data or will it corrupt the data even further. I have attached screenshots of the disk & volume information.

I'm thinking I should not have rebooted the machine without putting a new hard drive in for synology to rebuild the raid array.

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.

2017-12-09_15-54-52.jpg

2017-12-09_15-55-07.jpg

1 answer to this question

If you repair the system partitions first, then repair the array with disk one and finally do the file system check you have a good chance of getting everything back.  I would take a backup before the fsck (you can do this while the volume is rebuilding) . Playing around with the drives in Windows could have had some effect. You can do smart tests in DSM Storage Manager btw.

As you found, if a drive is removed from an array and the system booted up without it, it will degrade the volume. Even if you put the drive back that was part of the volume, it will be seen as a disk thats not part of it - just as in your case.