XPEnology Community

port forwarding help

Izii

Hi, I am Izii....i am new with NAS and what more NAS OS/Sytems. I found this xpe a good and interesting OS. I managed to install DSM 6.1.4 . I works well within LAN but I tried using internet but failed.

Tried port fowarding a few times but doesnt work at all. I am really not good at it.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Izii said:

Hi, I am Izii....i am new with NAS and what more NAS OS/Sytems. I found this xpe a good and interesting OS. I managed to install DSM 6.1.4 . I works well within LAN but I tried using internet but failed.

Tried port fowarding a few times but doesnt work at all. I am really not good at it.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum

There are several options to access the NAS over the internet with port forwarding or other ways

What make/model router do you have?

What do you want to do with access via the internet?

Hi,

Nice getting to know you guys. I have made my old i3 4130 -PC into DS 3615xs And my router is DLink Dir-859. .Basically, I would like to access the files tru internet but if I can also use the applications it would be even better.

Thank you

Another method is to set up a DDNS and  link that to the ip of your nas (some are pretty cheap these days)works well for me I won't mention any particular company because everyone has their own preference  maybe have look around for something that suits you then configure it in control panel-external access

9 hours ago, Izii said:

Hi,

Nice getting to know you guys. I have made my old i3 4130 -PC into DS 3615xs And my router is DLink Dir-859. .Basically, I would like to access the files tru internet but if I can also use the applications it would be even better.

Thank you

The router supports DDNS so setup a (free) service on that, then open the necessary ports to access the system. To be more secure you could use 'port translation' rather than standard DSM ports or (even better) setup the DSM VPN server and connect with a client  - that way you only open one port for the VPN server service. 

thank you

I managed to set the port forwarding and it shows "normal" on the Xpe but I am not able to connect from internet with No-Ip . If I use Dlink DNS it becomes "error" .  Did i miss some thing? I have not tried VPN. I am new to all these. Is there any place I can refer for ways to do port forwarding or VPN properly ?

Thanks

Port forward needs to be set up on your router. You can check your router user guide or the manufacturer website to check how to do it. A bit of googling should give you an answer on how to do that.

Be aware though that if your internet connection is behind a double NAT you will need to contact your ISP to ask them how to port forward since they will be the only ones capable to enable port forwarding. If they don't then your are in bad position as it will not be possible to access the box from outside. 

If you are 'Double Natted' have a look at DD-WRT firmware to see if there is a version for the DIR-859. I think it has a feature to detect the 'real' external IP address and hence a DDNS set up on it should work. That does not get over the port forwarding issue, but if you can reach your network by the DDNS, you could try opening a range of ports (for testing) and do a remote NMAP scan to see if any are open with the ISP. Then use the open ones for your service.

This would be giving you a complicated setup, so depending on how keen you are for remote access and how confident you are then it might be easier to setup a link to one of the online file services (google drive, hubic etc) and replicate your files there for access 

• 2 years later...

I ve been struggling with this for the last 1 year i bought a Domain  and the subscription is Over ! 
can u  just  mention any sort of Router   with Pics and  steps to make this Work ... Buying a router is more cheaper than buying a Domain ....
and ur steps here are useless I have tried them nothing new and my DSM still Fails   when i test the Port ....Yet the Ports are Shown in Routers Page as UPNP ! 
What s going on here ?!