XPEnology Community

Convert from Hyper-V to VMWare?

Bose321

Question

Hi,

Is it possible to convert my Hyper-V DSM 5.2 to VMWare so I can update to DSM 6.x? I really need some features from this DSM, but I don't want to lose my stuff. I can't get docker to work on my DSM and Lets Encrypt certificates are a welcome bonus.

Regards

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Bose321 said:

Hi,

Is it possible to convert my Hyper-V DSM 5.2 to VMWare so I can update to DSM 6.x? I really need some features from this DSM, but I don't want to lose my stuff. I can't get docker to work on my DSM and Lets Encrypt certificates are a welcome bonus.

Regards

Not done this myself but I'd imagine you could use some standard tools to convert the hyper-v to ovf and import that into esx. there could be a number of risks/issues with transferring so it might be 'simpler' to setup an esxi host (or bare metal), create a new 5.2 instance and backup/restore between systems, then update to 6.x

2 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Not done this myself but I'd imagine you could use some standard tools to convert the hyper-v to ovf and import that into esx. there could be a number of risks/issues with transferring so it might be 'simpler' to setup an esxi host (or bare metal), create a new 5.2 instance and backup/restore between systems, then update to 6.x

Thanks. I guess I have to find a way to transfer my files then...

Esxi or baremetal are not an option since I've got a HTPC for Kodi with DSM as a VM. Vmware supports 6.1 good right?

34 minutes ago, Bose321 said:

Thanks. I guess I have to find a way to transfer my files then...

Esxi or baremetal are not an option since I've got a HTPC for Kodi with DSM as a VM. Vmware supports 6.1 good right?

Sorry I thought when you said VMWare you meant ESXi (its a VMWare product) so would now guess you mean VMWare Workstation or Player running on your Windows  HTPC - 6.x should work ok if you follow the tutorials.

45 minutes ago, sbv3000 said:

Sorry I thought when you said VMWare you meant ESXi (its a VMWare product) so would now guess you mean VMWare Workstation or Player running on your Windows  HTPC - 6.x should work ok if you follow the tutorials.

Right sorry, I meant Workstation or Player indeed. I'll try to move some stuff over and start over.