XPEnology Community

New here, not new with xpenology

metalmini

Hi all,

I have an HP microserver N54L which is running an very old version of DSM (5.0-4493). This thing still runs like a champ but i figured that it was time for an update. Also, updating packages from the syno repository is grinding to a halt.

My thoughts are to get a new disk and start all over. This way i can get all the data that i need from the old disk and have a fresh DSM install.

But i was wondering if my old HP is still able to run the newer version? I searched around to find some hardware specs but i cant seem to find them.

Hope to get started with the upgrade very soon. I love me some new features :-D

Hi & welcome to the forums, the N54L will happily the latest version 6.1.4 You'll need jun's 1.02b loader, make sure you set the correct vid & pid of the USB you're using & disable C1E support in the bios. If you need any assistance there are some guides on the forum.

Your N54 will run it just fine. You could always get a used Gen8 and build a new machine and keep your N54 as a backup device (updated to the new version of course). That's what I did with my N40 which I use as a backup for critical data now.

You can't simply jump from 5.0 to 6.1 you need to update to 5.2 before making the leap. https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

Edited by CtrlAltDel