XPEnology Community

Dilemma about virtual systems

ruffpl

I'm improving my xpenology dsm5 home server to higher-end equipment. I do not know much in virtual environment, so I am looking for advice of people experienced in this topic. 
My idea is to have 2 systems running on my server in the same time. One of it of course xpenology ( as a family home server 24h per day/ hd movies, music, download station, with access from outside network), second windows 10 ( less often for gaming newest dx12 games and Kodi player). Systems will be installed on 600gb 10k sas drive, but I do not know what kind of VE should I choose for them. I would like to have direct access to phisical disks (not virtual disks)/ f.ex xpenology system on sas drive but all data on sata hard drives basic volumes (I make backups on tape drives, so I don't need RAID protection)
Which option would be best:
- Xpenology dsm6 with Virtual Machine Manager spk for windows ( I didnt find any info does it support dx12, drivers, etc)
- Win 10 with virtual xpenology
- all sytems virtual 
- some other option

On 12/2/2017 at 1:54 PM, ruffpl said:

- Xpenology dsm6 with Virtual Machine Manager spk for windows ( I didnt find any info does it support dx12, drivers, etc)

i've heard that it is possible to install windows but i'd not expect it to be good for games

to use it that way would at least need to use a dedicated graphiccard to handed over to the vm by vt-d

its kvm so you can read about other people experiance with kvm and using it for virtual windows and gaming

- Win 10 with virtual xpenology

as xpenology/dsm does not support hyper-v thats not option

it will work if you use virtualbox  for the dsm vm, i'm using it only for testing, never looked into it how mach performance is possible but i'd expect with 10gbit nic and a good local storage it might be possible

- all sytems virtual 

like esxi - windows and dsm as vm, also possible but also not so sure if the windows is realy good for gaming (lack free, fps worthy)

- some other option

don't over complicate things, if its just dsm and windows is would go with two bare metal systems

if you are using tape then a bare metal dsm can be a little bit of a problem as dsm is not a real linux, only a appliance and cant be extended easily

if you insist of tape than esxi and dsm as vm and linux/windows vm as host for tape and backup software

it depends on the tape solution, maybe even a simple baremetal with 10BGbit network is possible, it does not need much horse power so put things to tape

even if having 3 baremetal systems is not too bad virtualization is not the solution for all and if you are not a professional in that area it can be complicated/time consuming and can need a lot of performance tuning, also if that one hardware fails ... there is a good reason why production systems are a cluster, hardware will fail and its not always a binary 0/1 condition

i guess it will depend of what you already have, what your skills are and how mach time you can invest