XPEnology Community

Disks seem to be getting dynamically assigned

Cesuhl

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior or if there is a way around it. I suspect that it may be a limitation of the hardware i am using. When i insert a new disk it seems to be allocated the first available slot in XPEnology regardless of the slot i use, then the second disk will take the next available slot etc. This seems to only occur on the disks that are connected the my HBA cards, the onboard Sata  ports appear to be statically assigned and reflect slots 1-8, while the HBA cards should reflect 9-24.

Hardware:

mobo: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O

cpu: Core i3 7100

ram: 8gb DDR  4

chassis: Supermicro SC836TB

backplane: BPN-SAS-836TQ

HBA: 2 x IBM m1015 (flashed to IT firmware)

i am currently running DS3617xs version 6.1.4 Update 2 with the 4.1 extra.lzma drivers.

i've included my dmesg.txt file. The onboard sata ports are appearing as the ata ports while the disks connected to the HBA cards are appearing as scsi ports.

dmesg.txt

8 hours ago, Cesuhl said:

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior or if there is a way around it. I suspect that it may be a limitation of the hardware i am using. When i insert a new disk it seems to be allocated the first available slot in XPEnology regardless of the slot i use, then the second disk will take the next available slot etc. This seems to only occur on the disks that are connected the my HBA cards, the onboard Sata  ports appear to be statically assigned and reflect slots 1-8, while the HBA cards should reflect 9-24.

Hardware:

mobo: Supermicro MBD-X11SSM-F-O

cpu: Core i3 7100

ram: 8gb DDR  4

chassis: Supermicro SC836TB

backplane: BPN-SAS-836TQ

HBA: 2 x IBM m1015 (flashed to IT firmware)

i am currently running DS3617xs version 6.1.4 Update 2 with the 4.1 extra.lzma drivers.

i've included my dmesg.txt file. The onboard sata ports are appearing as the ata ports while the disks connected to the HBA cards are appearing as scsi ports.

dmesg.txt

Its expected behaviour, check out the FAQ 11

No problem, would you be able to confirm what is expected behavior after a restart of the XPEnology device? i've noticed that the disks seem to change slots some times after a reboot. I've only got 2 disks in at the moment while i do some testing in slots 9 and 10 and after each reboot they appear to change location as far as the software reports. I assume that this behavior has the potential to impact the volumes after a reboot if the disks are suddenly reporting in a different slot? is there a way to ensure that the disks remain in the same slot after a reboot?