XPEnology Community

XPEnology 6.1 ESXi 6.5 LSI-SAS9201-16i passthrough no disks vissable

G33RT

Hi ya all,

I'm new to ESXi and XPEnology and mabe someone here can help me out with my problem.

I have the problem that none of my harddisks are vissable in XPEnology Storage Manager.

The SATA controller is setup as passthrough in ESXi 6.5

This is my setup:

2x Xeon L5640 @ 2.27GHz 64GB 1333MHz RAM  2x 250GB SanDisk NGFF SSD

LSI SAS9201-16i 16-Port SAS/SATA controller (the card is set passthrough in ESXi)

Software = ESXi 6.1 Update-1

XPEnology 6.1 DS3615xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02-alpha

Is there something I have to do to make XPEnology recognise all de harddisks that are connected to the SATA controller?

Could it be that it is driver related, however I have read that my SATA controller 9201-16i is compatible http://xpenology.me/compatible/

Any help on this is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance!

In the 1.02a-loader is a bug where you have to copy drivers manually after an upgrade of DSM. I would suggest to try the actual loader 1.02b.

For debugging purposes it is also good to have access via putty over a serial connection. With this way you be able to see the whole boot process. I made a thread here in the forum with a manual how to do this.

• Thanks 1

after exchanging the loader system will not boot, you will have to use the synology assistant to fix it, only takes a few seconds

main reason imho is that the fresh loader 1.02b comes with the kernel of dsm 6.1.0 (15047) and you usualy have a newer dsm/kernel installed like 6.1.3 (15152)

its the same as if you get your real synology hardware exchanged, you take out all disks, get a new diskstation delivered and there will be a difference between the internal synology usb loader and your disks, that has to be fixed

i've not tested it but it may work ootb if you copy the "recent" (latest installed) zImage and rd.gz to the boot media

thats not always inside the big 200 GB "first" pat file, you have to check the last update pat file, if there is a flashupdate package inside (open pat files with 7zip) like "flashupdate_6.1-15152-s7_all.deb" the this contains the newer files (can also be opend with 7zip) you need to copy the two files to the 2nd partition of the image (if windows 10 is used that can use the 2nd partion easily as it gives it a drive letter when connected)

Edited by IG-88
  • Thanks 1

no, you dont have to reinstall for bootloader change 1.02a->1.02b

as i wrote, if you remake the usb flash drive with 1.02b (inser vid/pid, mac, and serial) and try to boot you can repair it with the synology assistant (windows software), right click on the system found and there should be a option to repair (or whatever its named)

thats the way i did it when 1.02b came out (if you use the search you will find more people that have done it)

the untested is just a option to get it booting in the first try without anything else, prepare the usb flash drive put it in and boot up (and hopefully it boots without any visible change on the 1st try)

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you as well as I am having a similar issue. Currently running ESXi 5.5 HP version on a HP ML10 v2.

My 8 HDD is already in an RAID array controlled by a LSI 9265.

1. I have tried to Putty into ESXi, but for some reason I can't have the right access privilege to change or create any files. So I can't get the vmkfstools to work.

(This is a non-Xpenology issue - I am just not a good Linux person)

2. When I pass through to a Windows VM on the same machine, the array is visible in Windows VM environment.

Best regards,

Jack

6 hours ago, typer77 said:

Thank you as well as I am having a similar issue. Currently running ESXi 5.5 HP version on a HP ML10 v2.

My 8 HDD is already in an RAID array controlled by a LSI 9265. 

1. I have tried to Putty into ESXi, but for some reason I can't have the right access privilege to change or create any files. So I can't get the vmkfstools to work.

(This is a non-Xpenology issue - I am just not a good Linux person)

sudo su

and after that you have root privileges an can change what you want but be carefull its "you ask for it you got it" no safeties to prevent you from doing stuff to mess up the system

2. When I pass through to a Windows VM on the same machine, the array is visible in Windows VM environment.

this controller should use megaraid_sas.ko as driver, thats part of juns loader and it should work ootb (in theory) without additional driver package

Edited by IG-88

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue on my microserver gen 8 , with lsi cougar in passthrough, seems xpeanology didn't t like multiple Sata controllers... I fixed it with attaching the synoboot to ide 0:0 ,and virtual disk for os , if you have that to ide 0:1...

Then remove Sata and ssci, so there is only 1 Sata present, that's your passthrough ...

Boot up,and I saw all my disks ..

I 5.2 I didn't have to do this, no issue , only on 6.1...

Not sure how I need to fix this on 6.2 though, since ide is not working there anymore