XPEnology Community

CPU/MB advices for new build please.

inonefly

Question

Hello all, 

I've managed to fill both my DS214Play and Qnap 670Pro and it's now time for another NAS. I've considered the DS1817+ but for the amount of money I probably can get myself a decent spec'd Xpenology. I was thinking to start with 6-8 drives then with 2 PCIE slot for possible network adaptor and more drives upgrades. I'll use the NAS for storage mainly, should I go for a MB with embedded CPU or maybe MB that I can upgrade CPU just in case I want to play with VM etc in the future?  I think even for storage only, I'll benefit from better CPU in case a failed drive and I have to rebuild the data (I 'll go with SHR)?

Please can I have some recommendations on embedded one as well as a good MB for upgradable cpu to start with? Many thanks.

7 answers to this question

I am narrowing down to Supermicro X11SSM or X11SSH-F, I don't really need IPMI but thought M2 connector could be useful in case I want to add SSD cache, and don't have to use up the SATA connectors. And for CPU I'm thinking E3 1235L v5, that supports Quick sync and is low power, but will have to go with ECC RAM. Will these be a good starter kit with less trouble on the DSM installations on drivers etc and keep relatively future proof for sometime (with ability to expend drives as well as RAM/CPU power upgrade)?

I can recomend long XPEnology life on old hardware with no problem.
Currently running the latest 6.1.4  15217 upd 2 on DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.
I always recomend Gigabyte mobos with Intel chipsets for desktops for allmost 25 years of my  IT work experience.
Gigabyte is synonym for performance, reliability and long life.
My oldest, still running comp with GB, works 24/7/365 for 18 years with Win98 -  it controls an agriculture storage air-condition :)
My HW :
GA-EP45-UD3LR (7 years old, leaved by customer after his PC upgrade)
Intel C2Q
16GB RAM
4x hot swap 4TB WDs RAID5 (RAID5 by DSM, not by mobos hardware), hot swap (Chieftec in my case) is not mandatory, but I found it very useful.
Old components means less money :)

Edited by Fireball

I can recomend long XPEnology life on old hardware with no problem.
Currently running the latest 6.1.4  15217 upd 2 on DS3617xs 6.1 Jun's Mod V1.02b.
I always recomend Gigabyte mobos with Intel chipsets for desktops for allmost 25 years of my  IT work experience.
Gigabyte is synonym for performance, reliability and long life.
My oldest, still running comp with GB, works 24/7/365 for 18 years with Win98 -  it controls an agriculture storage air-condition [emoji4]
My HW :
GA-EP45-UD3LR (7 years old, leaved by customer after his PC upgrade)
Intel C2Q
16GB RAM
4x hot swap 4TB WDs RAID5 (RAID5 by DSM, not by mobos hardware), hot swap (Chieftec in my case) is not mandatory, but I found it very useful.
Old components means less money [emoji4]

I found a old desktop in the garbage. Just added a NIC and a couple 4 tb drives. Its been running XPEnology 24/7 for over two years now.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

As I said, no need to buy expensive hardware. Old comp, eqiuppied with good chipset, can also be a good choice.
I also recomend to use a good power source - there is better idea to spent more money for model with 80+ effectivity and a longer warranty.
If fails mobo, nothing happens to the disks mostly. If fails power source, it can be dangerous to them.
BTW: Sorry, I made a mistake in my calculation. The mobo was swapped to Gigabyte at 2003, so its age is 14 years, not 18...
But I think its also amazing, isnt it?

Edited by Fireball

As I said, no need to buy expensive hardware. Old comp, eqiuppied with good chipset, can also be a good choice.
I also recomend to use a good power source - there is better idea to spent more money for model with 80+ effectivity and a longer warranty.
If fails mobo, nothing happens to the disks mostly. If fails power source, it can be dangerous to them.
BTW: Sorry, I made a mistake in my calculation. The mobo was swapped to Gigabyte at 2003, so its age is 14 years, not 18...

I don't have any old hardwares laying around, so I have to buy new, or maybe I can scout for used HW.

I was looking at SuperMicro because people are raving about them and they provide clear info on the chips being used. I want to use ECC RAM and have dual LAN so even looking at Gigabyte/ MSI / Asus the motherboard is also about 200. Would you say ECC rams are essential or does not matter that much for Xpenology? I know the lower end of synology are not ECC but their higher end models are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, will go for a good quality psu and I'm also thinking of getting a back-up UPS.

I generally like gigabyte, I had a 775 setup that I used a period of time then gave to my in-laws, they used it for years even survived when they had the renovations the mono was covered in dust that I could tell if it was a mobi or ask tray but still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im running on UPS. It is so obvious, I forgot mention that. Thank you!
I recomend to everyone, who is running any kind of RAID, to prefer UPS.

I think, that ECC RAM is not important.
I have many "server" PCs (cheaper, more economic for provident customers) with non ECC RAM for years. I do not remeber a problem which was caused by standard RAM. Of course,
depends on RAM size. I recomend ECC, if RAM bigger than 32GB. For NAS with 4-6 HDDs is 8GB enough.
I tested successfully for a few weeks also CPU onboard mini ITX mobo Gigabyte GA-J1900M-D3P (4 core Celeron). It was produced at 2016. Fanless design, minimal power requirements an quiet.
I liked it very much, but my goal was NAS with12x 4TB HDDs (I had them). This mobo has only 2 SATA ports onboard, so the final solution will be more difficult. Thats why I swapped to GA-EP45-UD3LR with 6x onboard SATA. Im pretty sure, that for people, whos goal is not much more than 4 HDDs, will be GA-J1900M-D3P very good and economic option.
Current products GIGABYTE J3455N-D3H (4x SATA + 1x PCI) or ASUS N3050I-C (2x SATA + 1x PCIe20) should be good candidates for silent design too...